Lights set up (experimenting) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Lights set up (experimenting)

Fishermon ,is my new name (former Pelicano) on the old PFF...new forum, new name,new to gigging, newmotor..go figure.....

So here I go, thinking what could wk. best to get us some flatties in the boat. Not the best boatfor skinny water but hey..thats allI got. Well, this is whatI came up with....after some fast thinking and trying to decide on 110v or 12v....I decided to give the candle power lighta try...just to to have agood feel for it. The setup is simple and economical indeed. I have two batteries, one for the trolling motor and one for the lights alone. (a 3rd batt. is back there for the motor and electronics only)....run the pvc's across the bow and wedged it against the cleat to hold backward movement..that worked so so... cheap stove burners pans.. epoxy and two starbrite lights from wallyworld...one thing though is that when I cut the pvc I miscalculated the trolling motor blade so it did hit the stove pan a few times (fixable)so i said #@$%^ just raised the blade higher that's all..so I juiced up the battery the night before and therewe went. Took a couple folks from here last week and gave it a try....manthis whole thing was new to me andI can tell you I was all excited and all to get us some fish...so a few hrs. went by....saw oneflattie and and that was it. Water was somehow cloudy . The lights worked ok, but needed some morelight on the sides..put the spot light on thinking ot would help, butgot back too much glare....trolling speed had to be ajusted ...depth wise we were on 12 to20" of water I'd say....The rest of the night was just fun to experiment.... We lost a prone to a puffer fish (no comment) bend another prone three times to "concrete" slabs....yeah....they sometimeslook like the real thing ...so theregig #2 went.....so 2gigs outta three ....one puffer one huge niddle fish and nothing else. So hopefully next time we'll do better . MeanwhileI'm googleeeiiing the area for some obvoius spots.... here are some pics of the set up...comments to improve it appreciated. Thank you.

Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Lights set up (experimenting)

great progression! opcorn spelling and all. i enjoyed the entire thing thoroughly. :clap hope you get some.

i'm doing some work myself... replacing the bow platform and front bench seat (both wood) that has rotted out of the little fiberglass jonboat my brother and i flounder out of.
fishFEEDER9697 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Trigger

:doh i didn't mean for that to come off so pretentious, sorry.
fishFEEDER9697 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Snapper

Cheap and effective,nothing wrong with that.Keep trying,the flatties will show up soon enough for you.
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Sailfish

Hell Im impressed nice job:toast
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
Sailfish

Ifyou are mistakingpuffer fish and concrete slabs for flounders you are not getting enough light. No telling how many real flounders you arepassingby.

My recommendation for improvement is to get some hallogen floods and a generator and to leavethe extra people at home so you can get that big boat in skinnier water.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to David Ridenour Send a message via Yahoo to David Ridenour

Don't know dick about flounder gigging but the setup is pretty inventive. Keep tweaking it and I'm sure you'll be on em soon.DFA definately can stick some flounder so you might want to try a little skinnier water if possible.I wouldn't leave my buddies on the dock though unless you're doing this to feed your family. But thats just me,I fish for fun.
David Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Grouper

looks good. Sometimes you have to improvise.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Sailfish

Thanks!! I can now make something similiar to fish with off my yak!! Looks great to me!! Good job!! :bowdown
SheYakFishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in