Lighting question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Lighting question

Have any of yall tried to change the color of your lens on the metal halide or halogen fixtures? I know the HPS fixtures put out more of a yellow colored light while the MH or halogens are more of a white light. Is this the reason they possibly cut the murkier water better (yellow colored light)? Kind of like using amber lensed glasses.
fishnfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Lighting question

Come on guys I know some of yall have an opinion on this.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

i run halos on my rig and have never tried a different color lense. i can see where it would make sense but dont have any experiance with it to say if it will work or not. one way to find out...try it and see
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Grouper

My fishing partner recently swapped to HPS lights. I don't know about changing the lenses on Halogens but I know I LOVE his HPS lights. I hate fishing with him nowb/c I don't want to use my boat anymore. Those HPS lights are the real deal! I'm not sure if its the color of the light that helps the HPS lights cut dirty water better or not but they are worth the money in my opinion. By the way, I'd be interested to see the results if you give the expieriment a try!!:toast

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided bow fishing trips in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin, Gulf Breeze, and Pensacola

850-396-1816

www.litethenitecharters.com
johnboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Grouper

I pulled this off a website.....<P align=center>Metal Halide vs. High Pressure Sodium

Metal halide lighting differs from High Pressure Sodium (HPS) in the color and quality of light delivered. Metal halide is a highly efficient light source capable of delivering a white light in the range of 2700 to 5500 Kelvin with typical CRIs in the mid-60s to mid-70s. Some lamp chemistries even obtain CRIs in the 80s. In contrast, high pressure sodium lamps yield yellow lighting (2200K) and have a very poor color rendering index of 22.

HPS lamps are available in color-corrected versions that shorten their life and only slightly improve color temperature. Even with greatly improved CRIs, the color temperature still delivers yellow light. This color limitation is present because the HPS lamp generates light through the excitation of sodium. Metal halide lamps, on the other hand, generate light through the excitation of 2 to 5 different chemicals in the arc tube. In addition, the exclusive Uni-Form formed body arc tube is a newly-designed, compact light source sculpted to follow the physical shape of the arc itself. The precise geometry of this unique arc tube, accurately reproducible from lamp to lamp, produces a metal halide lamp of greater efficiency, improved color uniformity, and longer life.

By varying the blend of chemicals in the arc tube, metal halide engineers are able to alter the characteristics of the light output. This flexibility in design makes metal halide so versatile. White light is a very important attribute of metal halide technology, because it is the closest to the natural sunlight that people prefer.

A number of independent research projects compare each option under low light levels and provide solid, reliable information to support the concept that the color of light strongly influences human perception. In fact, the sensitivity of the eye to different colors determines the true or effective lumen output of a lamp. The visual effectiveness of white metal halide light with a high blue/green content is shown to increase in reduced light while it decreases for the yellow light of sodium sources.

High pressure sodium has been used for years in less color critical applications such as parking lot and roadway lighting. Applications more sensitive to color have used metal halide. The availability of lower wattage metal halide lamps and the revolutionary Uni-Form pulse start system technology has greatly increased its application in indoor and outside commercial and industrial environments. Many applications, such as security and parking garage lighting, now use metal halide instead of HPS. HPS is used today mainly in areas where color temperature and color rendition are less important (i.e. warehouses, street lighting, security lighting). Metal halide is applicable in a wide range of commercial, industrial and municipal spaces and offers an excellent quality of light.

Studies show that people generally prefer to work and live in a white light environment, a fact that itself explains the dramatic shift toward metal halide.

http://www.venturelighting.com/techc...halide_101.htm
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Grouper

Here's a little something I found that has the information for the wattage of the light with the lumens it puts out.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/nelpag/lamps.html
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

The lens on the hps lights are clear just like the halos, the light makes the difference in the color. I would think any type of color on a halo lens would burn off, the halos get 800 degrees in seconds.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Grouper

I was thinking more on the line of colored glass, not tinted.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
White Marlin

Changing the color of the lens would probably make a difference. I used to run halos but never tried any colored filters. I would like to hear the results from anybody who has tried this or is planning to try it. As I have said before the halos will work fine but one ofthe main reasons I swapped to HPS is because of they only draw a fraction of the amperage of halos and run a hell of a lot cooler, not to mention their benefits in less than perfect water conditions. I can now run all night on 1 gallon of gas in the genny compared to about 4-5 with the halos. This took a tremendous strain off of the generator and in the long run will probably prolong its life as well. Not to mention that the noise from the generator is nothing more than a hum compared to its previuos roar!!!

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Sailfish

Do you guys think if a colored glass was available to replace the factory ones in our Halogens, would it reduce the life of them as in fishinfever's article?
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in