Light setup failure, help please. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree17Likes

Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Mingo

Exclamation Light setup failure, help please.

So I just spent the last 4 hours of my life putting together this setup, and basically running around town to 9 different stores to get all of the parts I needed.

Generator: http://www.harborfreight.com/http-ww...1169-html.html

Knock off of a Honda etc, It ran two of the same brand shop lights that were both 1000 watts each @ 8amps perfectly. However I need three lights since I'm missing fish near the shore lines I need one in the center and two angled out left and right on the corners.

So today I bought the same brand of shop light but in 500 watts and 3.9 amps each "brand: http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-halogen-shop-light-61576.html"

The factory cable of the cord was 16g- I cut off the outlet connector and connected 14g extension cord using crimping and heat shrink technique with some added liquid electrical tape on all the ends and then wrapped back with regular electrical tape "pic attached-

^^^ This section of electrical cord was exactly 7ft long

Next I ran all 3 cables to a waterproof junction box where I have a 9ft 14g extension cord with plug coming in.

I ran all greens together, blacks whites and put them on with large waterproof connectors- that have the silicone/grease inside. and even coated the bottoms with liquid electrical tape.

Started up Genny, let it run for a minute or two plugged it in "OVERLOAD" immediate shut off.

Plugged in the "2" 1000 watt each lights to genny and they light up as normal "also 16awg"

pics attached, I'm no electrician and I basically took the advice from a guy at home depot "thinking this was a very bad decision now as I had planned to run two lights together and one separate"

Pics attached, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Light setup failure, help please.-img_4429-jpg   Light setup failure, help please.-img_8456-jpg   Light setup failure, help please.-img_3933-jpg  

Last edited by jtrump; 05-26-2014 at 10:18 PM.
jtrump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Grouper

too much current on 1 circuit?
bdyboarder86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Mingo

I thought the 14g wire is good for 15amps, and if the lights are drawing 3.9amps per light that is 11.7amps.

Close yes, but this is so confusing since you can run two 1000 watt lights putting 8 amps each on 18awg wire 16amps today, how?

So riddle me this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-wa...ght-66439.html

^^ Is the product that runs fine on my generator, each light has a sticker on the side the clearly states 1000watts 8amps, this is on each individual light.

Now this is taken from the description from the website.

"Dual 500 Watt lamps swivel independently for precise light placement"

So that's telling me the lights are 500 watts each and not 1000 as marked and 4 amps each-3.9/4.0

But still not understanding why it wont run on 14g wire rated for 15amps. if drawing a max of 12amps/3 lights.

Last edited by jtrump; 05-26-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Grouper

no idea im not an electrcian but i have had problems like that in the past when hooking up light to a junction box and it was bc of too much current on a single circuit.
bdyboarder86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Mingo

Anyone else with more experience care to put there two cents in, I'm thinking bdyboarder86 is correct, but still the math isn't adding up. would 3 amps below max really overload the circuit?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
rcc
Cigar Minnow

If I'm understanding right you have a total of 2500 watts in lights and the generator will only do 2500 peak. Your peak wattage at startup probably well exceeds the max of the generator. 18 gauge I think is too small, but should work ok to test. 14 gauge back to generator may should be bigger as well.

I could be reading this wrong. Do you have 3 500 watt lights or 2, 1000s and 1 500?

If you have 3, 500s disconnect them one at a time and check it, because either you have one or more of them bad or a wiring problem.

Last edited by rcc; 05-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.
rcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
Mingo

3 500 watt lights drawing 3.9/4 amps each on 14g 15amp rated extension cord.

However I did have to splice the 14g extension cord into the 18awg wire near the light itself.

Note: In the picture of the junction box the 3 14g extension cords are ran 7ft exactly and spliced into the stock cord which is believe is 16g. Yes 16 not 18.

Last edited by jtrump; 05-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Sailfish

Its not the wire, you are overloading the generator circuits.
The Maintenance Shoppe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
Mingo

how am I doing that? what's the fix? It's only 1500 watts and 12amps..

my generator is rated for 2200 and 18amps.

please explain, appreciated.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
Sailfish

Sounds like the gen. Might be over rated. Try the 2 and 1 and plugging them in separate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in