LED vs. HPS synopis of benefits and costs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GIggaMon
  • 2 Post By mirage2521

Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default LED vs. HPS synopis of benefits and costs

Been trying to follow thru on all the posts on the lights. So far, best I can figure out it boils down to couple key points that are for each side and costs.

Here is what I have come up with and would like to hear where each point is wrong or right.

1. Any light above water has glare, LED or HPS. How much I am not sure. Has anyone got side by side video of each as a comparison.

2. Underwater LED can be very bright but run the risk of running into things with them. Some say that is an issue and others say not an issue.

3. Above water, say 6 x 150 HPS are minimum of what is needed (warm white seems to be the best) are very bright but require $600-1000 generator.

4. Cost for 6 quality 150 HPS is going to be minimum of about $125-150 each to include upgraded brackets and painting. So total cost is about $900-1000 and generator.

5. Plus have to carry 1-2 spare bulbs for HPS.

6. Quality LED set up will be 6-10 underwater lights at $40-100 each and about same above water at up to $100 each but no generator needed.

7. LED seems to be easiest removable system. However, seen a couple removable HPS that look more than workable.

OK, what did I miss or misunderstand? I am trying to figure out which way to go and want to make sure I do it right the first time.

I do not mind the money, just the mistakes.

Last edited by Bountyhunter; 01-24-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter View Post
Been trying to follow thru on all the posts on the lights. So far, best I can figure out it boils down to couple key points that are for each side and costs.

Here is what I have come up with and would like to hear where each point is wrong or right.

1. Any light above water has glare, LED or HPS. How much I am not sure. Has anyone got side by side video of each as a comparison.

2. Underwater LED can be very bright but run the risk of running into things with them. Some say that is an issue and others say not an issue.

3. Above water, say 6 x 150 HPS are minimum of what is needed (warm white seems to be the best) are very bright but require $600-1000 generator.

4. Cost for 6 quality 150 HPS is going to be minimum of about $125-150 each to include upgraded brackets and painting. So total cost is about $900-1000 and generator.

5. Plus have to carry 1-2 spare bulbs for HPS.

6. Quality LED set up will be 6-10 underwater lights at $40-100 each and about same above water at up to $100 each but no generator needed.

7. LED seems to be easiest removable system. However, seen a couple removable HPS that look more than workable.

OK, what did I miss or misunderstand? I am trying to figure out which way to go and want to make sure I do it right the first time.

I do not mind the money, just the mistakes.
4 HPS would do fine I know several guys, thats all they use and they kill Flounder, I do carry an
extra bulb lol but not one has gone out ever in four years now this is the ultimate stup once you build everything its done just go gig
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Mingo

Default I use two 400 watt HPS

a couple pics
Attached Images

bamafan611 likes this.
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Trigger

For me...there will never be a generator on my gigging boat. Even the smallest Honda eu makes noise. I flounder in very very quiet places with no other boats around ever. I love the quiet.

If underwater LEDs are mounted on a floating mount its almost impossible to run them aground and the produce zero heat and attract zero bugs.
Flounderpounder and dsar592 like this.
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
I flounder in very very quiet places with no other boats around ever. I love the quiet.
Wow, you must have a special boat that no others can get there, ever. Where at? GPS coordinates would help. Don't be stingy.
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
Wow, you must have a special boat that no others can get there, ever. Where at? GPS coordinates would help. Don't be stingy.
Nice knowing you are reading my posts. It's like having a fan or a stalker
Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
I'll give them to you but its a 10 mile open water ride.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
Nice knowing you are reading my posts. It's like having a fan or a stalker
Who doesn't? Just trying to learn from an obvious expert...you've got an opinion on everything!
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
Trigger

Yepper....I am a smart mofo.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Trigger

Stick around, learn all you can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in