led lights - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spearfisher59

Old 12-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default led lights

this winter project is to make 12v-36v led underwater lights for the BOAT.done ordered all my leds chips and converter off e-bay. so if i go with like 6-30watt chips across the front of the boat underwater.how far in front of the boat do you think i can see a flounders on a good clear night??right now i'm run 6 400 watt hps . want the 12v-36v when i want to run without the generator
spearfisher59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
DLo
White Marlin

What color led’s did you get?

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”
-Winston Churchill
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

got some warm white 3000k.a lot of flounder gigging people over this way are starting to use GREEN led lights underwater.so i order a few of them too.just to try out to see if they are better than warm white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

I'm using 100w Bright White and 100w Warm White (has yellow tint). One works/sees better in murky water.
Using a deer feeder 12v 7a/hr battery with a 600w step-up booster, boosting the voltage from 12v to 36v to operate the 100w leds, which is the max voltage. Also, a regular 12v boat/car battery will work just the same and you'll be able to work the lights all night w/o dimming.
If you use a step-up, whatever the wattage, make sure it has an adjustable current (amp) regulator and adjust it lower than the maximum current of the led rating (usually 3amps).
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

the 30 watt leds are 30v-36v and 1000ma so i got converters ordered from led supply.com since i run 36v trolling motor it should work out good.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurDog View Post
I'm using 100w Bright White and 100w Warm White (has yellow tint). One works/sees better in murky water.
Using a deer feeder 12v 7a/hr battery with a 600w step-up booster, boosting the voltage from 12v to 36v to operate the 100w leds, which is the max voltage. Also, a regular 12v boat/car battery will work just the same and you'll be able to work the lights all night w/o dimming.
If you use a step-up, whatever the wattage, make sure it has an adjustable current (amp) regulator and adjust it lower than the maximum current of the led rating (usually 3amps).
where did you find the 12volt 100 watt chips? i really don't want to order them from china
Snagged Line likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

They are not 12v 100w leds. They are 100w 30-36v 3amp (3000ma) max. And yes, they're from china, but they work as described and you cannot look directly in it when it's lit up. I guess you could, but I wouldn't recommend it, you'll see spots for about 3 minutes from just a split second look.

I do have some 12v 10w (1amp) leds. Suckers are super bright too.

I got them off ebay and took about 10 days to get here. Others took 14 days. I never buy "all" my leds from the same seller, that way I'm more apt to get them opposed to being lost in mail or at customs.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Any pics or more details? I'd love to set up something on my skiff.
IWanaGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

You'll need electronics safe 2-part water clear, high temp epoxy with a UV inhibitor (blocker).
I suggest a 600w step-up booster. Plenty enough to boost a 12v battery to 36v. It also has a current adjustment to set the current/amperage to match the led. You'll need a 100w LED cob or chip, I have the flat square cob led's. Thermal paste, aluminum heat sink (cheapest is from an old computer tower).
The epoxy will yellow in time due to heat, age and uv rays. I suggest you research the best one for your individual needs. If you want it to stay clear longer, it will depend on the quality of the epoxy you use.
I got all my parts from ebay except the epoxy. Again, research your needed epoxy as described in the 1st sentence. All epoxies are not the same.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Ah, so that's how you're getting the waterproofing done. I'll look into the epoxy. Thanks for the tip!
IWanaGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in