Led Lighting - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Default Led Lighting

After finally having some time to have the new boat on the water, I have come to the conclusion that LED lights are not even in the same league as HPS lights. Mine are the 50 watt Sealite wired for 12 volt. They cover about half the surface as the 150 HPS, the penetration is equivalent to 500 watt halogens but appears to be less light.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
White Marlin

You have just opened a subject that is one of the most complicated in common Physics.

It comes to questions about light radiation, radiant flux, luminous flux, luminous intensity or Candelas but to simplify it, you are only concerned about 'spread' and 'penetration' into the water.

I'm assuming you are talking about underwater lights on your boat?

Is your objective to see fish, for fish to see you or for you to be seen? In addition, is power savings an issue? The answers to these questions are going to affect your choices.

To simplify further, High Pressure Sodium does have more luminous intensity but burns about 10% more wattage. I think you mentioned that you moved down from 150 watts to 50 watts per light?

The spread and penetration question is often a function of reflector design. You are experiencing more penetration but less spread, so I would say that your installer should have recommended one additional light because he has increased your penetration by narrowing the angle of the reflector.

Just remember, if these are for fish attraction, fish see different wave lengths of radiated light.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandleslim View Post
You have just opened a subject that is one of the most complicated in common Physics.

It comes to questions about light radiation, radiant flux, luminous flux, luminous intensity or Candelas but to simplify it, you are only concerned about 'spread' and 'penetration' into the water.

I'm assuming you are talking about underwater lights on your boat?

Is your objective to see fish, for fish to see you or for you to be seen? In addition, is power savings an issue? The answers to these questions are going to affect your choices.

To simplify further, High Pressure Sodium does have more luminous intensity but burns about 10% more wattage. I think you mentioned that you moved down from 150 watts to 50 watts per light?

The spread and penetration question is often a function of reflector design. You are experiencing more penetration but less spread, so I would say that your installer should have recommended one additional light because he has increased your penetration by narrowing the angle of the reflector.

Just remember, if these are for fish attraction, fish see different wave lengths of radiated light.
He and I both are Electricians we know the ins and outs hes just saying after having HPS lights now going to leds SUCKS looking for flounder to stab at night that is all.
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
White Marlin

I totally missed out on this being a flounder gigging rig. I somehow thought that you were talking about underwater lights for the transom of a boat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Maybe you can use 'ins and outs' for making your next selection.
Snagged Line likes this.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Grouper

I swapped from LED (50 watt floods) to HPS this year. While there's no doubt they put out more light; listening to the Genny is taking some getting used to. Mine is a Honda EU 2000 so it's quite as far as gennys go but still makes a heck of a racket compared to a 12v battery. I switched to keep from having to recharge batteries so much during spring and summer when we fish several nights a week. When I go back to rec. Fishing though; I'll be back to LED's I think. Just to peaceful without the Genny. There's no really muddy water where I fish so they put out plenty of light. My gig handles are only 10'-12' anyway, LOL. That being said; the HPS lights are amazing when it comes to light output though!!

I think you were pushing your LED's with a Genny and converter if I remember correctly. If your going to use a Genny anyway, HPS is no doubt the superior light.

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided bow fishing trips in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin, Gulf Breeze, and Pensacola

850-396-1816

www.litethenitecharters.com

Last edited by johnboatjosh; 03-31-2015 at 05:07 PM.
johnboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnwdad View Post
After finally having some time to have the new boat on the water, I have come to the conclusion that LED lights are not even in the same league as HPS lights. Mine are the 50 watt Sealite wired for 12 volt. They cover about half the surface as the 150 HPS, the penetration is equivalent to 500 watt halogens but appears to be less light.

So in other words you F up when you sold are your HPS stuff.
GIggaMon likes this.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Grouper

I like my LED's. If its muddy, I cant see anyway. Its nice being very quiet. Everybody to their own though. Just go with what you like.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder9.75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnwdad View Post

So in other words you F up when you sold are your HPS stuff.
Absolutely!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
White Marlin

If years down the road they come up with a LED that will put out even close to the light an HPS bulb does and can be run on DC I'd snatch the Genny off in a second. I to, love the peace and quiet but for what we do its just not a good option. If you only go a night or 2 a week the LEDS are fine. In your case, since you've already had HPS, you'll never be happy until you get some more...

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Prongs Of Fury View Post
If years down the road they come up with a LED that will put out even close to the light an HPS bulb does and can be run on DC I'd snatch the Genny off in a second. I to, love the peace and quiet but for what we do its just not a good option. If you only go a night or 2 a week the LEDS are fine. In your case, since you've already had HPS, you'll never be happy until you get some more...
I agree, there's just no comparison between the two. Truthfully I really don't even notice my Genny running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in