Led Lighting - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish
 
Gnwdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,749
Default Led Lighting

After finally having some time to have the new boat on the water, I have come to the conclusion that LED lights are not even in the same league as HPS lights. Mine are the 50 watt Sealite wired for 12 volt. They cover about half the surface as the 150 HPS, the penetration is equivalent to 500 watt halogens but appears to be less light.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Flora-Bama State
Posts: 3,674
Default

You have just opened a subject that is one of the most complicated in common Physics.

It comes to questions about light radiation, radiant flux, luminous flux, luminous intensity or Candelas but to simplify it, you are only concerned about 'spread' and 'penetration' into the water.

I'm assuming you are talking about underwater lights on your boat?

Is your objective to see fish, for fish to see you or for you to be seen? In addition, is power savings an issue? The answers to these questions are going to affect your choices.

To simplify further, High Pressure Sodium does have more luminous intensity but burns about 10% more wattage. I think you mentioned that you moved down from 150 watts to 50 watts per light?

The spread and penetration question is often a function of reflector design. You are experiencing more penetration but less spread, so I would say that your installer should have recommended one additional light because he has increased your penetration by narrowing the angle of the reflector.

Just remember, if these are for fish attraction, fish see different wave lengths of radiated light.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
Mingo
 
GIggaMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mobile,Alabama (west)
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandleslim View Post
You have just opened a subject that is one of the most complicated in common Physics.

It comes to questions about light radiation, radiant flux, luminous flux, luminous intensity or Candelas but to simplify it, you are only concerned about 'spread' and 'penetration' into the water.

I'm assuming you are talking about underwater lights on your boat?

Is your objective to see fish, for fish to see you or for you to be seen? In addition, is power savings an issue? The answers to these questions are going to affect your choices.

To simplify further, High Pressure Sodium does have more luminous intensity but burns about 10% more wattage. I think you mentioned that you moved down from 150 watts to 50 watts per light?

The spread and penetration question is often a function of reflector design. You are experiencing more penetration but less spread, so I would say that your installer should have recommended one additional light because he has increased your penetration by narrowing the angle of the reflector.

Just remember, if these are for fish attraction, fish see different wave lengths of radiated light.
He and I both are Electricians we know the ins and outs hes just saying after having HPS lights now going to leds SUCKS looking for flounder to stab at night that is all.
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Flora-Bama State
Posts: 3,674
Default

I totally missed out on this being a flounder gigging rig. I somehow thought that you were talking about underwater lights for the transom of a boat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Maybe you can use 'ins and outs' for making your next selection.
Snagged Line likes this.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
Grouper
 
johnboatjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 965
Default

I swapped from LED (50 watt floods) to HPS this year. While there's no doubt they put out more light; listening to the Genny is taking some getting used to. Mine is a Honda EU 2000 so it's quite as far as gennys go but still makes a heck of a racket compared to a 12v battery. I switched to keep from having to recharge batteries so much during spring and summer when we fish several nights a week. When I go back to rec. Fishing though; I'll be back to LED's I think. Just to peaceful without the Genny. There's no really muddy water where I fish so they put out plenty of light. My gig handles are only 10'-12' anyway, LOL. That being said; the HPS lights are amazing when it comes to light output though!!

I think you were pushing your LED's with a Genny and converter if I remember correctly. If your going to use a Genny anyway, HPS is no doubt the superior light.
__________________
Captain Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided bow fishing trips in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin, Gulf Breeze, and Pensacola

850-396-1816

www.litethenitecharters.com

Last edited by johnboatjosh; 03-31-2015 at 05:07 PM.
johnboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Flounder9.75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnwdad View Post
After finally having some time to have the new boat on the water, I have come to the conclusion that LED lights are not even in the same league as HPS lights. Mine are the 50 watt Sealite wired for 12 volt. They cover about half the surface as the 150 HPS, the penetration is equivalent to 500 watt halogens but appears to be less light.

So in other words you F up when you sold are your HPS stuff.
GIggaMon likes this.
__________________
Flounderin: Like Huntin and Fishin.
R.I.P. Rookie We're Goin To Miss You
Flounder9.75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Daphne, Al
Posts: 1,102
Default

I like my LED's. If its muddy, I cant see anyway. Its nice being very quiet. Everybody to their own though. Just go with what you like.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish
 
Gnwdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder9.75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnwdad View Post
After finally having some time to have the new boat on the water, I have come to the conclusion that LED lights are not even in the same league as HPS lights. Mine are the 50 watt Sealite wired for 12 volt. They cover about half the surface as the 150 HPS, the penetration is equivalent to 500 watt halogens but appears to be less light.

So in other words you F up when you sold are your HPS stuff.
Absolutely!
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
Five Prongs Of Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 2,798
Default

If years down the road they come up with a LED that will put out even close to the light an HPS bulb does and can be run on DC I'd snatch the Genny off in a second. I to, love the peace and quiet but for what we do its just not a good option. If you only go a night or 2 a week the LEDS are fine. In your case, since you've already had HPS, you'll never be happy until you get some more...
__________________
Captain Hunter Boutwell

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish
 
Gnwdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Prongs Of Fury View Post
If years down the road they come up with a LED that will put out even close to the light an HPS bulb does and can be run on DC I'd snatch the Genny off in a second. I to, love the peace and quiet but for what we do its just not a good option. If you only go a night or 2 a week the LEDS are fine. In your case, since you've already had HPS, you'll never be happy until you get some more...
I agree, there's just no comparison between the two. Truthfully I really don't even notice my Genny running.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.