LED 12V lights??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default LED 12V lights???

I've been running 4 starfire lights with 100 watt bulbs, but thought I would try LED lights.

I did some searching and found a recent thread about some LED lights from Ozonium or something like that. Are those lights used above the water or submerged in the water?

In that discussion, they were talking about 20w light bulbs. Just curious why it would be good to use those versus a 50 watt light.

For those who have used starfire and LED bulbs - how do they compare?

I don't mind carrying 3-4 batteries if they are needed. Anyone have experience with how long a battery will run the 20W lights?

Any other advice?
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
White Marlin

StarFires are dinosaur age stuff. If your gonna run a DC system best bang for your buck is warm or extra warm white 50 Watt LED floods. Wire them 24 volt, use group 31 deep cycles. The lights will outlast you.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
Sailfish

Thanks for the advice. I am ignorant of LED lights, where would I find lights like the ones you mentioned?

Based on something else I read on the Oznium website - I'm guessing they would need to be in the water (which is fine with me) to prevent overheating?
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpcfl View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am ignorant of LED lights, where would I find lights like the ones you mentioned?

Based on something else I read on the Oznium website - I'm guessing they would need to be in the water (which is fine with me) to prevent overheating?
These are flood lights designed for area lighting such as parking lots and such. LEDs don't get that hot, that's part of the reason they're so efficient. Do Google search for them, lots of places online to find them.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Grouper

Take a look at Jerry's LED listed several times here in the forum. I have a 20 watt from Oz and it was bright until I turned on Jerry's light. You will be impressed. Basically and 800 vs 3000 lumens for about a $40 difference. Both are great lights.
OHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I am going the DIY route and currently looking for another jon boat for a dual boat setup as my family is large with 4 kids.

I am going with the cheap chinese MR16's 12 watt warm whites at 2$ a pop and plan on running them in pvc out of water. I am also going to get 3 very small deep cycle batteries at academy for like 40$ a piece, to go with the ones I already have. They can then run the trolling motors and the lights. I plan on using 6 per boat so about 72 watt and about 6,000 lumens for 12$'s out of china ebay "the pvc enclosures will cost more". Also if I have to replace them due to water damage its not like they cost anything. I don't like the 500 watt halogens/halides as they require a lot of gas, extra weight, heat etc. Sure they are really nice overall but they also cost an arm and a leg. Maybe if I had a 5k-10k boat dedicated solely to floundering.
Oceandweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in