HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?

Noob first post here. I'm a Canadian living here in Alabama and fishing in the daytime summer heat along the Gulf Coast kills me. I've decided to get into gigging and bowfishing at night (there's some monster Gar in the Mobile delta). As far as lighting goes I've spent a fair bit of time researching (here and elsewhere) and I think I've landed on HPS lights and a Yamaha EF2000iS "quiet" generator. I'm looking for opinions on whether to go with six to eight 150W lights or three 400W lights. At first I thought I wanted 150W lights but then I started doing the math and discovered that I can actually save over $200 on the lights alone by going with the 400W setup, not to mention money saved on fabricating fewer mounts.

The lights will be mounted on an older 18'6" Hanko custom welded aluminum walkthrough with 2' fantails (a Cajun boat). She's not the prettiest boat on the water and not quite a skinny water boat either but with a 3/16" welded hull and an old Johnson 150 she's just about indestructible and reasonably fast. The semi-vee hull isn't deep enough to venture out more than a few miles into the Gulf in calm seas, but she's great in the rivers and near shore. I plan on having some sort of quick disconnect brackets welded to the hull so the lights can be moved around or taken off completely.

So the 400W option seems cheaper, less cords to run, fewer pieces of equipment to mess with and adjust. Is there a downside? Less versatile? Something else I haven't thought of?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
metallurgynerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Mingo

id go with the 400s, less mess just thoughts, not an expert
Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Grouper

Default Hps lights

Metal, I've been running 3 400 watt HPS for 3 years now and have pretty much tried them all. Havn't had a single problem with them and have killed my fair share of flatties with them. I have about a 24 ft radius of light and unless the water is pea soup, I can go. There are a million opinions out there, but these are the best I've ever used. I can take my light bar off in about 5 minutes if I want to use my boat for something else. I'm running a Honda 2000 and get about 6 hours on a gallon of gas.Search my post for pics.
Attached Thumbnails
HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?-161%5B1%5D-jpg   HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?-162%5B1%5D-jpg   HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?-158%5B1%5D-jpg   HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?-159%5B1%5D-jpg   HPS Lights (sorry) - 150w vs 400w?-flounder-3-23-12-007-jpg  

bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Trigger

Holy cow that is one mean flounder killing machine set up you have there.
Ruger7mmmag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan611 View Post
Metal, I've been running 3 400 watt HPS for 3 years now and have pretty much tried them all. Havn't had a single problem with them and have killed my fair share of flatties with them. I have about a 24 ft radius of light and unless the water is pea soup, I can go. There are a million opinions out there, but these are the best I've ever used. I can take my light bar off in about 5 minutes if I want to use my boat for something else. I'm running a Honda 2000 and get about 6 hours on a gallon of gas.Search my post for pics.

Yep, seen your setup here previously (very nice!). That's what started me thinking that 400w might be the way to go. So do you have to wait for the first two lights to warm up before firing up the third? Could you hazard a guess what RPM your generator is running once all three are warm? Or how many amps each light draws when warm? I know I'll need to run high power factor lights, just want to make sure I won't have any trouble starting three 400W HPS with the Yamaha EF2000iS.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Grouper

Mine start instantly with built in ballast and take about 3 minutes to warm up to full brightness.My light are Hubbel and are sealed completely with aluminum housings. My gen runs on about 3 quarter rpms with all 3 running. I move around alot so I power down and back up several times a night. I did replace the bulbs after 3 years, just for insurance and kept the old ones for spares.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Sailfish

Metall......I have the same Yam genie as you. I run 4 150W HPS. I can start 3 of them, then can start the 4th after the first 3 warm up. Can't start all 4 together without tripping the generator.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death From Above View Post
Metall......I have the same Yam genie as you. I run 4 150W HPS. I can start 3 of them, then can start the 4th after the first 3 warm up. Can't start all 4 together without tripping the generator.
So I take it your 150W lights are not the High Power Factor variety (i.e. no capacitors)?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallurgynerd View Post
So I take it your 150W lights are not the High Power Factor variety (i.e. no capacitors)?
I can just about guarantee that.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallurgynerd View Post
Correct. No capacitors. I could add them, but decided to use them the way they are for this year.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in