HPS LIGHTS- Search not working sorry ^_^ - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Mingo

Default HPS LIGHTS- Search not working sorry ^_^

So yea another one of these threads.. I've read on here countless times about the correct HPS lights to get from econolight, but for some reason my search feature is not working, "swear!"

I'm currently running 3 500 watt halogens.. I've came into an opportunity to basically get my hps setup for free. I run an alumacraft 1648 NCS, and have the lights mounted on each corner and one directly on the front it seems to give me good coverage.

The question is.. To run 6 150hps lights, or 3 400 watt hps..

And the most important thing I cannot remember for the light of me is, the darn lights I need that have the capacitor's in them, or do I need caps for the 150's? I would Imagine I would not be able to start them all at the same time without caps.

running a Honda eu2000 also if that helps, attached is a picture of my boat design so you can see the corners and how I have my lights sat at the moment. If someone would be so kind to point me directly to the lights I need It would be greatly appreciated! Thx everyone
Attached Images

jtrump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Grouper

I run 4 150's from econo. You want to get the 150 hpf lights. They have the ballast installed. They run about $65. 400's are good but in my opinion a little overkill.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Snapper

Default Six lights on that sucker will be overkill

Hey, if you have them for free, it may work fine. I have 4 and I have so much overlap, I could have gone with three. A 250 in the front and 150's on the side would do well in my humble opinion.

The issue with the ballast being left in them or out varies between leaving them in for the 150's to out for the 250's and larger lights. Also, some are using Capacitors to help reduce the amperage draw. I run 4 150's with no issues. I used a home style electrical box with a double gang light switch and a double outlet with the outlets wired separately to each switch. That way, I can turn on two at a time (combined two lights into one pig tail by running them linked to each other). That way, you can turn on two, wait if needed, then turn on the other two. I taped the unit up, and have it mounted up under the bow area of the boat (dry).

I made a plywood (doubled up 1/2" board) and through mounted 4 bolts to hold it onto the deck). That way, you can remove it when not floundering. For brackets, I went to T&C aluminum and bought a stick of 2" x 1/8" flat stock. It bends nicely in a vice. Take a look at the post of my setup for an idea of how I mounted them. I cut some 2x4 stock to create a down angle to mount the aluminum mounts to. If you use the stock conduit mount, you will crack the housings after a while from previous reports. The housings are very thin, so when you drill it, use some flat fender washers or something similar to beef up the through mount.

I used these: SKU: E-HC1H151Z

They are offering a Veteran's day discount through 11/11 of 20%. Your timing may be right!

Good luck,

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Grouper

I ment to say capacitors installed not ballast.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
running a Honda eu2000 also if that helps
Yes it does make a difference and the 1st question that I had.

Your combo of 6-150's or 4-400's would tax that.

I run 2 400's out the front and 2- 175's shooting out the sides.

The 2000 Honda will start and bring them all online at the same time.

It throws plenty of light.....but here is the other part.... With throttle set to idle mode, the motor runs at 1/4 throttle.....This helps keep her even more quiet and also extends your run time of the fuel about another 45min to 1hr.

I now have 2 of these custom alum mounts for sale that will fit 150's or 175's.

$30ea.

By the way E-conolight has a 20% off sale today code = VALOR20

Last edited by X-Shark; 11-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

When you coming home Bob? (your neighbor Scott)
J16 Carolina Skiff Mariner 25
33 Concorde (gone.)
LITECATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Snapper

Default Back at the house

I got in Wed night. Should be here for a few days this time. Sent you a PM

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Mingo

Thanks everyone, I've got good coverage with 3 lights, debating just running 3 400's. Im sure they would be much brighter than the 3 halo's ive been running for years.

Downside, don't they weight like 30lbs each haha? I find a lot of fish in skinny skinny water, sometimes their backs are even out of the water, so I like to keep the weight down.
jtrump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrump View Post
Thanks everyone, I've got good coverage with 3 lights, debating just running 3 400's. Im sure they would be much brighter than the 3 halo's ive been running for years.

Downside, don't they weight like 30lbs each haha? I find a lot of fish in skinny skinny water, sometimes their backs are even out of the water, so I like to keep the weight down.
Go with the 150's and you won't have to worry about the massive weight of the big fixtures. Nor will you have to build remote boxes to move the ballasts into to remove "said" weight.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
Snapper

I have been looking at the HPS lights and researching the lights using this and the bowfishing forums .Based on price and weight I feel that the 150's would suit my pocket book best.I have found that these come in various sizes as well.So here is my question to all the 150 guys ....

What are the dimensions of your 150"s Hunter? Bob ? Flounderslayer?
and does it matter? the bulbs look to be the same size. So does a bigger reflector really matter?

Thanx for the help
Tail Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in