HPS Lights - gott'm - thanks to all who helped! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By boatnbob
  • 1 Post By Flounder9.75
  • 1 Post By flounderslayerman
  • 1 Post By Flounder9.75
  • 1 Post By bamafan611

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Snapper

Default HPS Lights - gott'm - thanks to all who helped!

FED X delivered them around lunch time. I bought 4 of the Econolight HPS150 watt lights. Inside, it has an igniter and the ballast. I saw no capacitor. I had to wait to play with them until I finished fixing nav lights and switches. After I licked that problem, time for fun!

#1: I took them apart and painted the inside where the reflector isn't mounted and the reflectors as everyone recommended. I took time to mount the ballast like it should be instead of in a sloppy manner (3 out of 4 cockeyed). They even have guides to ensure correct assembly. I figured why not paint the hold down metal as well for the ballast.

#2: Temporary wire up with two joined together and a short 14g utility appliance plug for testing. Two plugs to plug in.

#3: Cranked the Honda eu2000. Plugged in one cord and then the next. The genny barely came off of idle with the first one. The second, it picked up some, but still not at the level if you go off economy mode. Four lights burning - slightly above idle.

#4: Thought, what the heck, these suckers don't put out much light, then I waited a few minutes and WOW, don't look into those lights! My wife asked me why I needed so many - lol. I told her that when you gig them, they come cooked as you pull them out of the water

#5: Got to sort out mounting. I made a board to anchor to the front that will hold all four lights. I need to fab mounts for the lights. My concern is that I need to get them far enough over the front of the board or I fear the light will bounce back on me while gigging. I was going to make a U shape bracket out of 1 1/2" x 1/14" aluminum. My concern is it may not allow for placement like I am thinking (ability to point down without hitting the edge of the mounting board.. Any suggesions?

#6: Exterior painting? I read a post where someone coated the outside with bed liner? Can anyone verify this and offer what the paint was. I figure before I mount them, now is the time to get them all mod'd up.

As I mentioned in my title above, I would like to thank everyone who posted support and help on the thread I asked questions reference the lights. I have used the search feature quite a bit and apologize for asking questions if they have already been covered. Some of the results are numerous and I have endeavored to read them all - to include the bowfishing sight as well. I will be out of the net for a few weeks and am planning the rest of my mods to mount the lights and put them to use!

Once mounted, I will provide some pic's. I tried to take pic's of the lights under my boat house, but I couldn't get them to turn out and I was blinded for 5 minutes when I looked at the lights

Cheers to my PFF'rs.

Boatnbob
OHenry likes this.
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
Sailfish

You need to make your brackets at an angle so your light hang out in front of them and they need to be wider than the front so they will rotate inside of them. I know I posted some picture on here of mine to give you an idea of what I'm saying.
boatnbob likes this.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Grouper

Bamafan 611 painted the outside of his with bedliner. Also take the reflectors out and paint them with high temp flat white. It cuts down on shadows from your lights.
boatnbob likes this.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Sailfish

Here's a few pic of how did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
HPS Lights - gott'm  - thanks to all who helped!-img_1644-jpg   HPS Lights - gott'm  - thanks to all who helped!-img_0562-jpg  
Attached Images

boatnbob likes this.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Grouper

Bob, sounds like you are well on your way. best months coming up. Don't use truck bed liner as it is way too thick. Go to autozone and get truck bed coating. It is by Dupli-Color. It comes in a 16.5 oz.can.The can is blue. This stuff is great. Light coats till you get a good solid finish, Did I say light coats. No water can get to any metal and it's tough as nails.I did all 3 of my lights and brackets with one can.I think it was around 12 bucks.The high temp white paint on your reflectors that Elliot said makes a huge difference.
Good Fishing
boatnbob likes this.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Snapper

Default Great tips

I already disassembled the lights and painted the insides white as suggested. I will look for the bed liner paint and go slow painting -lol.

I may go with some steel vs aluminum but not absolute yet. I love the weight savings of aluminum, but can weld steel easier. Definitely need that extra angle as demonstrated in your pics.

I should be in good shape when it all comes together. The plan is to have it mounted on a board that fits across the front of the boat anchored through the lip of the gunnel. That way I can lift it out when the season changes. The board has been fabricated, painted, and is waiting on the mounts to be made.

Thanks again for inspiring me guys. Going from 4 star fires to this is going to be a game changer.

Most greatful PFF'r - Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in