How far ahead can you cut in on a gigger? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default How far ahead can you cut in on a gigger?

The other thread made me think...what is the acceptable distance to cut in front of another gigger? 100 yards? 500 yards? Not at all?
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
The other thread made me think...what is the acceptable distance to cut in front of another gigger? 100 yards? 500 yards? Not at all?
if those were the only choices, I say Not at all! Fall in behind if you wish to work same shoreline.. my .02

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Use the golden rule. If you were in his shoes and saw someone cutting in on your path from a mile you would probably be upset. I would just try a different path or work out a little deeper from him.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Mingo

Find another bank to gig! There's too many spots to run right in on somebody. Wait until they are gone and then go behind them if you want to gig that bank.
wareagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Grouper

Aggree plenty of room behind is better....

Nice avatar war eagle...
knot @ Work is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
TRG
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
When I was passed up if he would had stayed out deeper on a different line than I was going it wouldn't have bothered me. On the other hand I wouldn't do that to someone else. I try to stay out of sight or a different beach or go behind them if you have to but not in front if they were there first. I have gone behind other people in muddy water and killed several flounder but I don't bother if the water is clear.
TRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Wow, so if someone is on a long stretch of beach, they own it and I am out of line to get on that stretch even at 500 yards? Doesn't my time and gas spent count for something, too?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Trigger

Not saying you wasted gas just think about what you would want the guy to do if it were you getting run up on. Would you think it's fair to get ahead of him 500 yds then once he gets to your point of entry he runs up 500 yds in front of you. Play leapfrog all night. I agree with the majority. Fish behind him and check deeper water or run to another spot. Plenty of shoreline and fish out there. No need to get worked up over how far away is good enough.
romadfishrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Snapper

Default Form a line behind me!

That is how I feel. Now if you run a long ways in front of me, like four hundred yards or so, then so be it.

I have had newbies out there run up on me to get in front, then jack up the hole thing. Had some young navy guys out having some fun do just that to me last year. I got tired of them and leap frogged back into position only to have them do the same. So, I set it up to have them leap right onto a sandbar - darn shame. They were young and inexperienced, but didn't give consideration to what they were doing. They had a Q beam on an overloaded pontoon boat. I don't blame them for having fun, but dang, give me some room!

I don't own the water, but a little courtesy goes a long way. Heck, I might even throw them a fish if they are patient and show some courtesy. Then, that is just me. Hope to see you guys out there soon!

Cheer,

Boatnbob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Grand Slam

I think 500 yards is more than plenty of room. That is a loooong way. Take Pickens, for example. We are now limited on how much shoreline we can gig. On any given night, there are a ton of people there. If someone cuts within 50 yards, it kind of irks me, but 100 or more is just part of the game.

I guess my point is that everyone has an idea of what is ok when it comes to gigging rules. What seems acceptable and courteous to one may not be the same for another. I honestly think 500 yards is very gracious. What is the difference between that and a public wreck?

Not trying to start nothing, I'm really interested in how people think about it so as to alleviate possible tension on the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in