How do you get 'em off the gig? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default How do you get 'em off the gig?

I usually just shake 'em off, but once in a while they get stubborn. Maybe stuck through bone? I've seen a couple of "gizmos" that people have rigged up, either attached to the deck or the cooler. I've yet to see one that I'd say "that's just what I want". Anyone use or have seen a reallycool device/method?

Thanks!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: How do you get 'em off the gig?

Shut the lid on the ice chest and snatch them off, works every time. I saw one one time on the internet that a guy had made out of a plastic tote. He cut a piece of aluminum to fit the top of the tote and screwed it down, then notched out the center so the gig would slide up in it with the fish under the aluminum. When you snatched up on the gig, the fish fell into the tote. I will see if I can find a picture of it.
wareagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
bbb
Mingo

Here is the link to making a flounder box.

I just use the method of sticking the flounder in the cooler, closing it and pulling the gig out. Of course this is using the Seastriker gigs with their smaller barbs. I just bought a couple B&M heads with aggressive barbs so I may have the same problem soon.

http://www.niterangercharters.com/flounderbox.html

Start with this...

End with this.......

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Quote:
wareagle22 (8/4/2008)Shut the lid on the ice chest and snatch them off, works every time. I saw one one time on the internet that a guy had made out of a plastic tote. He cut a piece of aluminum to fit the top of the tote and screwed it down, then notched out the center so the gig would slide up in it with the fish under the aluminum. When you snatched up on the gig, the fish fell into the tote. I will see if I can find a picture of it.
Like this ?

I have always just shut the lid and snatched on the gigto get them off also but I have screwed up some coolers doing it to. Tom, I was going to rig me up a pole with a spear tip on it but never got around to it. Should make it a whole lot easier to get them off

Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

The speer point would work, but now you would have fish goo all over your hands and for me wearing glass's the fish would flop and get them screwed up.

I use the cooler and slam the lid. Rake the Flounder off that way.

but I have thought of using alum angle mounted inside the cooler in the shape of a V to do what is shown in the pix's. I want my fish on ice quickly.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
X-Shark (8/4/2008)The speer point would work, but now you would have fish goo all over your hands and for me wearing glass's the fish would flop and get them screwed up.

I use the cooler and slam the lid. Rake the Flounder off that way.

but I have thought of using alum angle mounted inside the cooler in the shape of a V to do what is shown in the pix's. I want my fish on ice quickly.
I snatch them off the same way but it is hell on the ice box. The lid on mine is busted from the abuse it has taken already. I have also put some thought into a device that fits inside the box to help pull them off but I haven't come up with anything I think will hold up yet.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Mingo

i have a similiar set up on my boat except the notch for my gig is actually cut into my deck on my boat with the tote under the deck and it works great i just put them on ice when i get done fishing that night .
Longbeard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Mingo

I snatch them off the same way but it is hell on the ice box. The lid on mine is busted from the abuse it has taken already. I have also put some thought into a device that fits inside the box to help pull them off but I haven't come up with anything I think will hold up yet.[/quote]

Any cooler you use for floundering is usually useless for anything else after about 3 or 4 trips. Ifthe lid breaks, I just place the drink cooler on top, sobig fish don't open it and flop out. Reattach/repair the lid before the next trip.

Of course my setup is not near as elaborate as most ofthe ones I see posted here. I'm pretty old school about it.Tiller stearing on my boat, two deep cycle batteries,a couple of lights(with spares in the boat), and a couple gigs.
stickmyshare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

i use the cooler lid method also...just close the lid, put my foot on it and pull. works every time. fortunatly i havnt broke a lid yet...knock on wood!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Snapper

I havent broken any lids yet either. What size cooler are you using? I use a 90qt and it has held up well. It does seem to chewup the edgespretty good though.
tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in