Honda help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree5Likes

Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
TRG
Mingo

Default Honda help

Just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has experienced this problem before.
I have the EU 2000 that I found at a pawn shop in GA about a year ago, like new. It has always started first pull every time but now for the last couple months if I open the vent on the gas cap or take the cap off to put gas in it, it will not start for about an hour. If I start it before opening it usually works and after warming up I never have any problems restarting, it's just the very first time after sitting for a week. It acts like it floods when I open the vent.

It has new oil that is full and brand new spark plug and I have taken carb off and cleaned but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I am trying to avoid putting it in the shop because I work out of town and when I do get to come home it's usually on a weekend and I don't have time to take it or pick it up.

Should I just order a new carb for it? Anyone know the best place to order parts? Anyone had this kind of problem before?

Thanks
Tom
TRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Mingo

I would start by cleaning the carb. Are you using ethanol free gas in that thing or have you been using normal gas?
jsh1904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
TRG
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1904 View Post
I would start by cleaning the carb. Are you using ethanol free gas in that thing or have you been using normal gas?
Yeah I've cleaned the carb twice now and doesn't seem to change anything. I always use 92/93 octane but not ethanol free. Only 1 store in Milton has it that I know of. I have ran a can of seafoam thru it when it first started doing this. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I always use 92/93 octane but not ethanol free.
And now you know why it's worth going the extra mile to get the good stuff.
drifterfisher and GIggaMon like this.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Sailfish

Just fill it back up after every trip and don't take the cap off until it's good warmed up.
BTW I never close the vent on mine.
GIggaMon likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG View Post
Yeah I've cleaned the carb twice now and doesn't seem to change anything. I always use 92/93 octane but not ethanol free. Only 1 store in Milton has it that I know of. I have ran a can of seafoam thru it when it first started doing this. Thanks for the reply.

It's still possible to have varnish in a jet. I would consider making a trip with a 5 gallon tank to keep ethanol free on hand.
jsh1904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
White Marlin

Sounds to me like your float needle is leaking a little. When the cap is closed there is enough vacuum to keep it from leaking. When you open the vent or take off the cap it lets enough pressure on the float needle that it leaks past flooding the engine. Probably varnish on the needle or the seat. Nothing to do with ethanol, ethanol free gas will varnish too over time. Get a rebuild kit and when you install the new float needle make sure the needle seat is clean.
drifterfisher likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
RMS
Grouper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Sounds to me like your float needle is leaking a little. When the cap is closed there is enough vacuum to keep it from leaking. When you open the vent or take off the cap it lets enough pressure on the float needle that it leaks past flooding the engine. Probably varnish on the needle or the seat. Nothing to do with ethanol, ethanol free gas will varnish too over time. Get a rebuild kit and when you install the new float needle make sure the needle seat is clean.
I was thinking the same immediately when I read the OP.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
This is spot on.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
TRG
Mingo

Thanks Breeze I will do this for sure soon as I get home.
I would love to use ethanol free gas but unfortunately at my house this isn't an option unless I get it every trip and I just don't have the time for that. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in