Guys posting lots of flounder - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By darsinika
  • 1 Post By a
  • 1 Post By Kim
  • 1 Post By Kim

Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Mingo

Exclamation Guys posting lots of flounder

All you guys posting all of these flounder. Are you spearing them during the day? We spent all this money for a nice setup but can't find any! Can't you lend just a hint??? We have spent the whole summer looking in orange beach in little lagoon and in wolf bay with only a few to show for it. A few hints would be so greatly appreciated
mssbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Grouper

they get them at night with gigs not spears and the guys getting large #s do it for a living and have put in lots of years out late night in some god awful conditions to learn a pattern and would no sooner give u much info on that than a key to their house with that said i will give u the advice my friends gave me go go and go more look for places with deep water or structure nearing shallows passes are good in the fall and the first few misreble cold fronts blowing 30 out of the north are best hope u figure it out i never did
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Sailfish

I went for years thinking that I had to stay on the shoreline. I didn't get many fish. Once I started concentrating on the edge of grass beds, I started getting lots more fish.
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
Mingo

Default I feel you Weedline

here is my 2 cents,i stuck a pin fish and i could have stuck a bunch of Rays while searching Shoreline Park, Gulf Breeze.

Locations & Tides

Locations

During the Fall run, Flounder leave the bayous and rivers and head for the Gulf to spawn in mass numbers. During this time most of the Flounder will be traveling through the bay channels heading towards the passes where they will often be found in mass waiting for the next front or outgoing tide to make the push out to the Gulf. While Flounder will typically not swim long distances without resting, their frequent short swims from spot to spot on their way to spawn causes them to expend large amounts of energy that must be recouped by voracious feeding.

As Flounder are ambush predators, as an angler, you'll want to look for them in spots where ambush is most likely. As the Flounder makes its way to the Gulf, it will stop to feed in areas with the following attributes:
Areas with radical depth changes (such as channel ledges, humps, drop-offs)
Areas with structure (attracts baitfish and provides cover for ambush)
Areas with current (Flounder can hold in strong current expending little energy and ambush prey as it swims by)
Areas with mixed/transitional bottom (A rock jetty that transitions to mud is an excellent ambush point)
The two maps below of Pensacola Bay and Pensacola Pass demonstrate typical Flounder holding areas. While there are many many more holding areas, these maps are marked with areas that have historically held high numbers of Flounder during the Fall run. Areas marked with "GFA" are classified as good fishing areas and "EFA" as excellent fishing areas.1
Attached Thumbnails
Guys posting lots of flounder-flounder_eastbay-jpg   Guys posting lots of flounder-flounder_pass-jpg  
dsar592, Kim and boatnbob like this.
darsinika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
a
Sailfish

my 6 yo had no problem stabbing the 1st one he saw.......go at night with a light and a gig....
GIggaMon likes this.
a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

Great reply to this thread Darsinka! A helpful answer that is awesome!
darsinika likes this.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Mingo

Default Dentist

We inexperience ones are like dentist trying to pull teeth out of these professional flounder guys, i am single and can only eat so much fish/food, i just want to stab/kill some flatties
darsinika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Kim
Blue Marlin

I could be wrong but I think there might be three types of mind sets operating within the "Forum". For one mind set the forum is a place where one's prowess, skills and abilities are shown to the world in the form of "I love me wall" pictures, the second mind set uses the forum to share experience and technique to help others along the learning curve as well as learning from others posts and the third type is a combination of the first two.
230 Cobia likes this.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in