GIGGING ETIQUETTE - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default GIGGING ETIQUETTE

Don't post very often but felt compelled to do so. Hope that the guilty ones will read this.This is written to the twogentlemen or two boneheads(you decide),that were gigging, just inside the mouth of perido riverin the aluminum boat last night (Sat.8/9/08) running 4 halogens and a generator @10:30 p.m. approx. on ala. side and then proceeded to move to the florida side and starteddirectly in front of me (200yds).You could have showed a little more tact and started behind me or moved further down towards the mouth. As it was just us two boats and we had the place to ourselfs. I could've understood this happening someplace like ft. pickens with a larger crowd.Some people just don't CARE and some people just don't think. Hope it was just the latter one and you had a great night and gigged yall's limit .Just be aware that next time I will do unto you as you have done tome, AND THAT IS SHOWING NO RESPECT!

p.s. To erase any doubt that i,m possibly hiding behind this computor my names is Noel Arnold and I can be reached @ (850-637-7050 ).
luredinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: GIGGING ETIQUETTE

It'sthe weekend and there's only so much shoreline and you don't own it. You can'texpect others to leave the area just becauseYOU are floundering there. If you don't wantcompetition take a day off and go during the week.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

I have never been gigging once so I would suppose I am a greenhorn, but it would seem to me that there certainly should be some form of protocal in order to not mess up another person gigging and some form of respect for other people gigging. I hope many reply to this, so I can learn more.

When Cobia are migrating in the spring it is concidered rude to cut in front of someone that is on a line down the beach, I have to think flounder gigging would be much the same. I would like to learn from you guys that know your stuff, and hope all the great giggers chime in and make this a great thread.

Thanks in advance.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Sailfish

My opinion on it is that I realize not all people have boats that can traverse a bay at night and get to places that are hard to reach and they are limited to the proximity of where they launched. If it were my wife and me out there and we came up on another flounder group, we'd definitley go the other way and let them have that strip first. We wouldn't leave the area, we might stay out and go past them and the come in to the shore and docks but it would be the opposite direction they are going. I know it sounds crazy because they might've already covered the area, but I've been reading on how they migrate and when we were ready to come back, they would be out of where we saw them and both them and us have a chance to try the same water. I do try to focus and bring home a cooler full, but who knows, those guys might just be the ones helping me out if I need a tow. The fish are just not worth the disrespect to me. When I launch, I pretty much can tell how many are going to be in our area and we just accept it and enjoy floundering! Hope I didn't make anyone mad, JMO.
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Mingo

I agree its Rude Noel but its happened to all of us. You just have to move on with out starting shit with the other man because he could be a packing, crazy loon.

Believe in karma and wait for a better night.
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider

I think it has happend to all of us at one time or anouther. I have been out on lots of occasions were if you want to fish any strech of beach you are just going to have to get in front of sombody. I dont like to do it but when you have several boats on a small body of water that are all fishing in different directions it is just going to happen. I never jump right in front of anyone. What I do is I jump way ahead of them so they will have at least 30 minutes before they get to the spot where I started. If the fish are moving in this will give enough time for a few more to move in behind me as not to totally screw the folks coming up behind me. Take this into consideration..... My boat is a flat bottom John Boat. I have fished right behind larger boats before that cant get up as close to the beach as I can and have gigged the ones that they never saw due to they were laying on the beach dam near. People dont seem to mind you getting in behind them it's just the jumping in front of them that dosen't sit well with them.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

This can happen at any time, but when there is only 2 boats out there it's more disappointing.

Around Pickens you will see boats under power going faster then they can see/gig. They don't bother me at all. They will pass right over them or loose a fish as the forward movement of the boat is to fast.

I've seen that happen to the same boat twice in one night.

A little respect and common curtsey's goes a Looooog way's guys.

I like to talk to folks as they come by or just say Hey. It's a little difficult with Generators running.

It is truly amazing how much shore line is out there to cover in our area if you will travel a little.

Spread out. Go explore new areas. You might just find your new Honey Hole.

I'm sure this forum alone has peaked more interest in gigging Flounder.

That puts more boats on the water and heavier competition for the fish.

I'm also sure there are people out there that read this forum and never post, but are competition for the fish too.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Midnight Rider (8/10/2008)I think it has happend to all of us at one time or anouther. I have been out on lots of occasions were if you want to fish any strech of beach you are just going to have to get in front of sombody. I dont like to do it but when you have several boats on a small body of water that are all fishing in different directions it is just going to happen. I never jump right in front of anyone. What I do is I jump way ahead of them so they will have at least 30 minutes before they get to the spot where I started. If the fish are moving in this will give enough time for a few more to move in behind me as not to totally screw the folks coming up behind me. Take this into consideration..... My boat is a flat bottom John Boat. I have fished right behind larger boats before that cant get up as close to the beach as I can and have gigged the ones that they never saw due to they were laying on the beach dam near. People dont seem to mind you getting in behind them it's just the jumping in front of them that dosen't sit well with them.
I agree with MR. Sometimes it just happens and the more popular this sport gets the more its gonna happen. It is inevitable, especially in a small body of water. I have been put in the same position before because some of my best spots are the smaller ones. Just a little bit of common courtesy is all that is needed. Its just a shame that there are some out there that don't take this into consideration!!! :looser

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Sailfish

For the record....I have never nor will I ever cut another gigger off. Just get tired of hearing people bitch and whine on here.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Grouper

I can remember back when you could flounder the beach on the base. It would look like a parade there'd be so many boats out thereand there was always someone running and gunning to get in front of someone. You really only have two choices. Be an ass like them and run up in front of them and cut them off or just grit you teeth and look for another spot
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in