Gig boat build/ Flying mullet - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Gig boat build/ Flying mullet

From the beginning, I am officially hooked on gigging. I read, and thought, and planned. After a lot of indecision I placed the order for a custom mud boat from Uncle J. We talked about the build and what I want to accomplish. We came up with a design that I think we get skinny and will run skinny too. I added the poling platform for the genny, a first for Uncle J. Also made the front deck flush. A pic or two from the pick up.

Finally got started. Step 2 was the rail. Pretty much copied the rail on BBB's boat.

On the paint I did the standard OD green but threw a little orange in to make her different.

I ordered some custom light fixtures, 4-250 watts HPS

On issue I overlooked was the size difference between the 150w light that Dale runs and the 250's I'm running. It meant the tabs on the rail were too small. After a few days of thought it came to me. I used U bolts to mount the new light, and let the tab help support them. This also allows me some lateral movement if I need to adjust them for coverage.

35 h.p. Go devil mounted:

Started working on the wiring. Initially I was going to cut a hole in the side box. I thought about it and really didn't want a big hole in the box, or all the wiring exposed in the storage area. I went to the Electrical supply house and bought a weatherproof box. This way all the wiring connection are in the box with the panel and any wiring in the storage area will be in sealtite.
fsmullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Pretty mean looking setup. What is your plan on powering the lights? Big battery bank?
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

honda eu2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

I know those Hondas are super quiet, but you dont think it would spook anything?
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
I know those Hondas are super quiet, but you dont think it would spook anything?
I know it doesn't. Been using one for over a year.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Grouper

Looks like that rig will work. Are those stainless lights and are they HPS or halogen? Thinking about a rebuild myself and a air motor is a must.I use a Honda 2000 on my rig now and pull right up on fish, havn't seen any spook from the generator. I cruise with a trolling motor unless it's too skinny and they don't seem to mind it as well. Great looking rig and good luck.

Sorry I see they are HPS and that makes a huge difference. Are the housings stainless and where did you order them from?
bamafan611

Last edited by bamafan611; 05-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

The lights are aluminum.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Sailfish

I am an "offical lurker" on the FS site and have been watching you post about this build. I also followed all the tear down and re-build you did on your Grady. One thing is for sure, when you take on a project it is no joke.

Your flounder rig looks awesome and it is just the kind of multi-purpose boat I have thought about for years. If you would ever get the bow out of your hands long enough in the fall/winter I bet you would kill a bunch of ducks out of that thing too, LOL.

Very nice job on the flounder rig. You have built something that will last for many, many years. Enjoy and please continue to post once you splash her and start getting it bloody .....
joebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Sweet!!!!!!!!
gig head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Nice boat. Good move on the electric box. That stuff would get tugged on to much if you didn't and all the manufactures use the Spade terminals. It's NOT the best solution, but it's what they build. Switches with screws and ring eyes are much better.

I surprised that you didn't run some washboards all down the sides. Makes it easier to walk around and keeps ya from falling out of the boat if you have to pee.

They sure had a bunch of airboats in that one pix under the shed.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in