Generator Size - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Generator Size

Hey guys. I am looking to get one of those quiet Honda generators for myboat for the purpose of floundering. I am thinking about running 4 of those 500 watt lights that are at walmart. Is this too much light? What size generator would you recommend? I am debating between the 1kw or the 2kw?

Thanks in advance.
broberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Generator Size

Quote:
broberts (2/27/2008)Hey guys. I am looking to get one of those quiet Honda generators for myboat for the purpose of floundering. I am thinking about running 4 of those 500 watt lights that are at walmart. Is this too much light? What size generator would you recommend? I am debating between the 1kw or the 2kw?

Thanks in advance.
Not into floundering by boat. If you plan to run 4-500W lights...guess what..Larger than IKW and smaller then 2KW. Don't just look at the output but the surge rating.:banghead:banghead:banghead I said that backwards..damn it..surge but the output. I have a 5.5KW (peak surge)and it sure won't run 5.5KW worth....more like 4.5 to 5.0.contionus.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Sailfish

You can never have enough light. I run 4 500W Hallogen floods with one of the cheap Coleman Powermates (2500). The Honda's are nice. If I ever wear this one out I will probably make the switch. If you take care of them a little generator will last you a long time. My little Coleman just made it's 8th season. It's loud, but when I'm concentrating on the flounders I don't even hear it. Best $299 I ever spent.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Buy the 2000 Honda and 6 of the $8.00 lights from Wal-mart, swap the 500 watt bulbs to the 300 watt bulbs. I also run this set up with a Coleman powermate generator, it's just the right amount of light for me. The Coleman is 6 db louder than the Honda and it does make a difference. If you would like to see my set up in person before you make purchase send me a pm.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider

I have a honda and love it. Check out this site.....www.wisesales.com A friend of mine told me that a friend of his just bought a honda 2000watt for $800.00....free shipping. I checked out the site but you have to call for prices. If this is true its a good deal for a new honda
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Mingo

I flounder and bowfish....I would spend the money and get a honda eu 2000, they are quiet, and if power goes out you can run a little window unit and sleep nice a quiet. I run 6 150wt hps lights. They put out around 16,500 lumens at 150 watts, a halegon 500 watt is around 6000 lumens. You can pick the hps lights up at a good price at hdlighting.com. Not only are they brighter, but they cut through murky and muddy water very good. Sorry about the rant...just got my lights hooked up and love them. But the honda eu 2000 is the way to go..In the long run if you dont mind the noise buy a briggs in straton, you can find the pretty cheap. But if you want a quiet genny the honda eu or the yahmaha series is the way to go. Not having a head ache at the end of the night is worth it to me.:doh
boutwell_43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys. I was kind of thinking I would get the 2Kw. I would rather have too much than not enough power. I appreciate everyone's response.

Brian
broberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Grouper

I have the 2k watt Honda inverter, and I love it.

My buddy has a Coleman powermate and it's quite a bit louder and not as powerful plus his doesn't do DC current.
BIGRIGZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Trigger

Send a message via Yahoo to GMan

Honda EU 2000i by far the best compactinverter generator on the market. Well worth the money and easily maintained. The housing itself is great for your application. Alot of safety features.I have been working with them for a while.
GMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
If you plan to run 4-500W lights...guess what..Larger than IKW and smaller then 2KW.

You guy's obviously don't understand how a generator works.

A 2000watt generator is rated also for continus duty and is less than 2000watt's

[This applies to all generators no matter what size]

You need to check the website for the model your interested in "BEFORE" you buy it

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/G...f/31Z07610.pdf

The "Rated Output" is 1600 watt's. That means continus duty.

The max rated output is 2000 watt's. Run one like that and you have a good chance of burning it up.

So lets review. With the 500watt Halagon's you could safely run 3 of them.

Or you can do what I did and swap out the 500watt bulbs for 300watt bulbs.

I run 4- 300watt lights. I could run 5 lights like this. Or if you can find them? [I can't] Run 4- 400 watt bulbs.

A good generator is a expensive investment, you don't want to burn it up do you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in