Fri Nite trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Fri Nite trip

want to learn about floundering. I am in navarre but can meet around fwb. does anyone have room?
dallis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Trigger

Btt
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Keep reading. There is a lot of info out there.

Last edited by X-Shark; 05-03-2012 at 09:50 PM.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Trigger

Thanks I can tell you how to fix a car but that don't mean you can or have the tools. I have read just don't have a way to get out now.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Your question was pretty open ended. Usually new people want to know where to go.

Most people that are succesful are NOT going to tell you that. We've worked to hard and spent to much time to find the places that pay off...or Usually pay off.

Another thing. Taking new people Floundering to your good spots is not a great idea.

There are easy landmarks to get right back to those spots. It's not like going offshore and hitting a GPS coordinate where everything looks the same.

Does this now make sense as to why I was so vague?

Get on the water pay your dues...Time spent on the water is paying your dues and learning.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Trigger

Ok I understand people don't want their spots stole. I bass fish and if someone wanted to learn I would take them. There is enough water out there for me to not be afraid of someone else stealing my spot. I have more. Do you not take your friends that don't have a way. So Mabey I should be looking for friends that flounder, cool got it.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Trigger

I'll help you out Dallis! I live over in Perdido so no chance we'll cross paths on the beach flounder love to bed up near river and bayou mouths this time of year as the waters warm up...they also can be commonly found around structures like piers, docks, large debris, underwater pipelines, anything they can use for "cover" as they feed...if you see a bed on the bottom that looks fresh, search around that area and not just in a straight line...they don't travel far when they're bedded up and fishing themselves...and though he didn't say it in the nicest way possible, Shark is right...the best knowledge comes from trial and error...the more you go the more you'll come to know...try different beaches until you find a reliable spot...and keep in mind what happens to be a hot area for fish one week might change completely the next time you go out, they do bed in the same areas once you find a hot spot so keep that place marked in your mental GPS good luck and keep trying! You'll get skunked a lot when you first start out but as you get a system down and some good beaches you'll start seeing em...just stick with it Dallis, when you get the fever you'll be glad you did! And you also have to understand, floundering is a bit different that rod-n-reel fishing...good beach is the paramount of floundering and if more than a few boats are on the same spot the area is wasted, at least in my opinion...so us flounder guys are more protective of our territory than most because the name of the game is covering ground! Hope this helps and happy hunting...
jhamilton226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Trigger

oh yeah, keep your eye on tide and moon phases too! Moving tides (coming in or going out) with anything but a Full moon are what I have found to be the best conditions...regardless they play a big role in a whether or not you have a successful fishing trip or just end up taking a boat ride in the dark haha
jhamilton226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shark View Post
Get on the water pay your dues...Time spent on the water is paying your dues and learning.

Really? How much in "dues" does one have to pay?
50+ trips since the first of the year.
several thousand dollars just in fuel.
2 flounder.

And I'm going again tonight.I figure if I go enough something got to give.I'm going to the AL side of things,Florida does not have flounder.

Last edited by drifterfisher; 05-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Grouper

X - Shark is right you just have to go. If you find fish remember what is the tide doing , what is the moon phase is , what month is it. What type of bottom , am I near a creek mouth , in a bayou , is there rocks or stumps. What day did the cold front come thru so you you can figure out what night is the best night after a front. It does take time to figure it all out. Just keep going and remember everything about the conditions. That's the only way to get good at consitantly finding fish. People just won't give up their spots unless you're friends.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in