flounder rig questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default flounder rig questions

I just picked up a john boat and I'm setting it up for gigging. I've never done it but ut seems like a blast. Is it better to have the lights above or below the surface? Am I better off with a trolling motor or push pole? If the answer is trolling motor do I mount it on the bow or transom? I'll always have another person so either is an option. I'm not going to get a generator for now so what are the best, inexpensive, battery powered light option? I have two large green hydoglows for sword fishing and it seems like i could rig them horizontally above or below the surface. Any body ever try this? I appreciate the feed back and any other additional help!

Ben
4wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Sailfish

Well I am new to the whole thing as well but I will let you know what I have found. I used the starfire setup for awhile those are the ones you can buy at academy for underwater use and they work okay and lasted on my batteries fine for 10 hours and that was 2 of them I also have a 24 volt bow mount troller so I have 2 batteries where I hook the lights up.

I recently purchased this 50 watt led floodlight off fleabay and it is the bomb after one outing the difference is night and day much easier to see for me, did'nt see any flounder but did mangage to get bout 30 mullet with the net. With the setup I have it holds the light out over the water facing down hardly any glare. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
flounder rig questions-p9070614-jpg   flounder rig questions-p9070612-jpg  
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

It is your own preference. I have never used under water lights, I started with halogen lights then used HPS lights. Both light setups were 120 volts and used a generator. I just bought some LED lights for my jeep and believe I'm going to use the same on my next flounder rig. I started polling then a trolling motor. You can cover a lot more ground using a trolling motor but it also ads weight and money to the rig.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Trigger

How much for the LED set up fluke?
Faithnfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Sailfish

100 bucks for the light shipped. I think I will get one more.
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Grouper

I run above water lights and I love them. But if the wind is blowing you get shadows from the wind ripple that make it hard to see. Underwater lights no shadows. You don't get as much light coverage with underwater lights. I've run both styles over the years and prefer abovewater lights.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Things have come a long wat in 15 yrs, lol. I use to use 3/4" pvc; pie pans, light socket with a long wire and gator clips on it. 12v bulb and vasaline! Tie it on how ever and pole along with the gig!
jaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Sailfish

If you tried to set-up the hydroglows you would have to rig it up some way to reflect all the light down and forward. You don't want any light back in your face. If you try let us know. Curious how the green light would work out. You don't need a trolling motor. Don't need that extra person either. JMO
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Sailfish

fishinglightsetc.com LED's came with the 'green' tube adaptor (not sure if its the same as yours) but the LEDs regular (white light) were by far sharper (underwater) than the green light imo. I used them on pvc set up clamped to the boat, but also use them to wade on certain areas when needed. Try sealark's (member here) lights.... they work great as well.
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
fishinglightsetc.com
Yea that was my 2nd lights that I put on my boat. They are laying around here somewhere. 1st time out, one leaked and went out. That's when I moved to a generator. Then there was 3 more changes after that + 1 boat build / change.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in