Flounder Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Flounder Questions

For the more experienced giggers on here, do flounders eyes glow red while shined on by a light? Also eel grass beds, rock rubble, sand bars typical spots in which flounder might be found? Do they consistently stay at the same depth for that evening? Meaning once you gig one in a foot of water do you try to stay in a foot? I appreciate the help here, figured it will elimate some of the guess work when out looking for some.
tips n tails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Grouper

No to the red eyes. Lighter colored fish do shine and darker fish stand out in sand. They will settle down on the beach when feeding, but they move up to that spot. They will leave tracks/impressions while moving up and alot of times you can follow these to the fish. On any given night with good water I start looking as soon as I can see the bottom to the beach and gigg fish at all depths.They move constantly from deep to shallow and back and you try to catch them when on their break.Alot of folks just hit the shallow water on the beach and never look deeper and miss alot of fish and usually my bigger fish come from a little deeper water. Once you go alot your eyes get trained on what to look for and sometimes it might be a mound of sand with eyes when they bury up. Other times I've seen them 6 inches from dry beach standing out like a sore thumb. I've hit the same stretch multiple times during a night and found fish that have moved up after my last visit and again after that. So the answer to your question to a certain depth//NO look everywhere toward the beach you can see. Structure should never be overlooked and one of my favorites is dock pilings. In the hot months deep water close to where you are gigging is a must for numbers because they will go deep during the day to cooler water, just like we use the thermostat. During the Fall they are in places that you won't see fish all year when they start their migration to the gulf. REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS

Last edited by bamafan611; 09-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan611 View Post
No to the red eyes. Lighter colored fish do shine and darker fish stand out in sand. They will settle down on the beach when feeding, but they move up to that spot. They will leave tracks/impressions while moving up and alot of times you can follow these to the fish. On any given night with good water I start looking as soon as I can see the bottom to the beach and gigg fish at all depths.They move constantly from deep to shallow and back and you try to catch them when on their break.Alot of folks just hit the shallow water on the beach and never look deeper and miss alot of fish and usually my bigger fish come from a little deeper water. Once you go alot your eyes get trained on what to look for and sometimes it might be a mound of sand with eyes when they bury up. Other times I've seen them 6 inches from dry beach standing out like a sore thumb. I've hit the same stretch multiple times during a night and found fish that have moved up after my last visit and again after that. So the answer to your question to a certain depth//NO look everywhere toward the beach you can see. Structure should never be overlooked and one of my favorites is dock pilings. In the hot months deep water close to where you are gigging is a must for numbers because they will go deep during the day to cooler water, just like we use the thermostat. During the Fall they are in places that you won't see fish all year when they start their migration to the gulf. REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS

That's some real good advise. I have seen alot of times where I make a pass through an area and may only get 1 or 2 and then make my backtrack of the same area and do much better on the turn around. If you see one moving away from you, don't panic and try to rush toward it. He'll probably move off a little and settle down so you can move right up on him. I've had em come right up behind me and lay down within a few feet of me while i was wading for them. Oh, one more thing, if you're in doubt, gig it.
in the boat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thank you Bamafan, much appreciative.
To In the Boat I went last night thought I saw a flounder turned out to be a flat slab of concrete. Bent my prong! You guys ever done that?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Sailfish

i saw on here while back about that! They said when you tried to gig it look up towards the nearest house they was sitting on back porch laughing!! lol I would love to go gigging, i have never been, looks and sounds fun!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Yes, it has happened but not too often. Like Bamafan said, once you've gone enough times your eyes get trained in on what to look for. The more you go, the better you'll get. How'd you do last night?
in the boat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Sailfish

I've been gigging 30 + year and I still stab a rock or chunk of concrete every once in awhile. I learned early to never half ass poke at something cause it kind of looks like a flounder because about 10% of the time it is a flounder then you get to feel like a dumb ass watching it take off. Bent prongs can be straightened out and keep a file on the boat to re-sharpen the points. Just my 2 cents work.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the boat View Post
Yes, it has happened but not too often. Like Bamafan said, once you've gone enough times your eyes get trained in on what to look for. The more you go, the better you'll get. How'd you do last night?
Crappy. Generator & lights did there job so no complaints there. I'm not sure if it was the area or what but I sure didnt see any flounder. Figure I may give it a go later this week. Part of my problem is I have a 18' bass tracker which I'm sure in the hell not taking down to FT Pickens, big lagoon area. So I'm pretty much constricted to bays +/-. I did see a lot of mullet croaker shrimp which I read from some LA, AL, GA blogs about flounder gigging that having baitfish in the area is a good sign and start.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Sailfish

Don't fret to much when the water clears up I will take ya out with me one night.bama and FSM always seem to have more than me but when your as old as those guys you gotta be good right
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Grouper

Drifter you've masterd it from last year. Remember when you couldn't find a fish and now your death and destruction on the flatties. Your right though my age is getting in the way of what I love to do. Alot harder on me now than it was 40 years ago. I used to could hit it every night and now maybe twice a week is my limit. Tips , I've been staring at the bottom for 40 years so seeing a fish is as natural as eating with a fork. The key is time on the water which Drifrer has definitely done and scouting areas. It always takes a little luck, but the homework will pay off year to year and when you have areas that consistently produce, go find some more. I DO NOT stay on beaches that show no sign or fish period. I run and gun to different spots that have been sucessful over the year and I might hit them two or three times a night. Take a boat ride during the day and look at beaches and how deep water holes relate to them.Everything looks the same at night. In a month everyone should be able to limit out every time, but it's those summer months that homework pays off. Forgot about the concrete. Ther are some sadistic folks on perdido beach that I know that had flounder casted out of concrete and painted brown that they placed around their dock and wait for giggers to rattle theit teeth when they stab one. They sit on their porch and it's better than TV / seinfeld/ to watch. You can hear the impact from inside the house and the cussing even further.

Last edited by bamafan611; 09-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in