Flounder Need Help> - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Flounder Need Help>

After having Gigged for 25plus years I too have noticed a steady decline in both size and quantity but mostly the time it takes to consitantly catch a limit if at all... Back in the day it was the norm to Gig one every 10-15 min in the height of the season.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011...0411_flounder/
jigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Rough Times :/

VanStaal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Really Senior Member
Snapper

If something has a dollar value on it it will be hammered until it's not profitable.
snapperfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Sailfish

In the state of Texas where I live, we've had new flounder regulations starting in 2010.

Before 2010, the recreational size limit was a 14" minimum length with a daily bag limit of 10 fish. Gigging was/is allowed.

Now, the recreational size limit is still 14", but the daily bag limit is 5 fish and gigging is still allowed. There is an exception. During the month of November only, the daily bag limit is 2 fish and no gigging is allowed.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Trigger

Default Did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wing View Post
In the state of Texas where I live, we've had new flounder regulations starting in 2010.

Before 2010, the recreational size limit was a 14" minimum length with a daily bag limit of 10 fish. Gigging was/is allowed.

Now, the recreational size limit is still 14", but the daily bag limit is 5 fish and gigging is still allowed. There is an exception. During the month of November only, the daily bag limit is 2 fish and no gigging is allowed.
This law affect the commercial Giggers at all?
jigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmaster View Post
This law affect the commercial Giggers at all?
I never checked the commercial giggers. I "think" their daily bag limit went from 50 fish down to 30 fish.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmaster View Post
After having Gigged for 25plus years I too have noticed a steady decline in both size and quantity but mostly the time it takes to consitantly catch a limit if at all... Back in the day it was the norm to Gig one every 10-15 min in the height of the season.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011...0411_flounder/
I can't speak for FL, but I consistently gig limits in LA and they are bigger them what I was gigging 15 years ago. Then again we don't have the pressure here from gigging that you probably do. I still think you can do well there. You just have to do more scouting in my opinion. It is sad that TX has a limit of 5 fish. I know guys that gig around Sabine that borders Texas and its not uncommon for them to gig 40-50 fish a night. Hopefully with a new president the NMFS can be restructured so that snapper, grouper, etc limits can be fixed. Sorry I'm getting on a tangent.
TurtleLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Trigger

It is crazy to see how regulations for sport and recreational fisherman constantly change...as if we where the reason that fish populations are declining world wide...however, not often enough do you hear people question the commercial limits or methods by which they catch their product...I'm not trying to lead a movement against the commercial industry but the fishing communities of the world need to recognize before its too late where the real damage to our fish stocks is occurring and make sensible changes to protect our resources and our ways of life before its diminished to the point of endangerment or gone for good...
jhamilton226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Trigger

I have flounder fished Pensacola Bay with rod and reel for over thirty years. This is one of the worse years I have ever had. I've still caught a few but limits are few and far between. Maybe the oil had something to do with it, dunno. I remember when the net ban took effect some folks said it would be limits for all forever - didn't happen.
Rustifaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

Hmm... flounder live on the bottom... Oil sank to the bottom...

Having said that, I have a friend who a week ago caught and released over 80 fish in a days fishing over a 1/2 mile stretch in the pensacola bay area....

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in