Flatties gone extinct?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree19Likes

Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Flatties gone extinct??

Tried it again last night between midnight and 3 am in orange Beach. Launched at Boggy Point. Didn't see the first flounder. A little breezy but otherwise perfect conditions. The water is so much clearer than Wolf Bay or Little Lagoon. We just can't find them! Tried Wolf Bay Saturday night too and saw 1 small one. May try Fort Morgan tonight but don't have my hopes up! I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong? Tide seemed right and just coming in from low tide. 6 led lights on front of Jon boat just pushing along. Any tips out there??? Please help a flounder gigging newbie��
mssbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Grouper

Sounds like you did everything right and the conditions were good as well. That is just part of the learning curve.
You will just have to keep moving and trying different spots until you find where they are in that area. Make sure you are in areas where there are bait fish and deep water nearby. They also like to lay around structures which also attract bait. Check around the mouths of creeks, canals and bayous.
bowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Sailfish

Went last night and stuck 18-20 not sure. My brother took this batch home and is supposed to text a pic. These came from around FWB.

Saw well over 100 small 2"-10" fish.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Grouper

Thanks for the Info. Mobile Bay has been a mess and I was going to head down toward wolf bay or boggy point area. Guess Ill wait.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Sailfish

I have one tip, it was told to me many many times when I first started this obsession, time on the water. That will teach you more than we can ever tell you. I'd hate to know how much money and time I've spent on this, I could buy 3 times as much flounder from the store. I like killin things with my stick though so....
This time of year, find creek mouths, deeper water and mud. Thats all ya get. Now go ride the front of your boat, oh yeah you have to teach the boat how to fish....lol

One more thing a trolling motor will save your arms....
GIggaMon and jtrump like this.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Mingo

You guys are awesome - thanks for the tips. We went to Little Lagoon last night and stuck a 13 and 18" near the pass in about a foot of water. But still, 5 hours with only 2 fish aint cutting it! We're going to try Wolf Bay tonight (last night of vacation - The water is just so cloudy. Are you supposed to work it really, really slow in order to see? We've got 8 small led lights on the front of the boat (not underwater). Someone told us to try deep in Wolf Bay but how with the water clarity? We're looking around for a trolling motor now. Thinking about the new Motorguide R3 or the Minnkota Endura Max. Really want the extra battery power with the digital models.

As far as FWB, I couldn't imagine seeing 100 fish. What depth were they? Again, we can only see about a foot deep in Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon. Orange Beach is a tad better but no fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Flatties gone extinct??-image-jpg  

Last edited by mssbass; 07-07-2015 at 07:16 PM.
mssbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
Sailfish

That foot of water is where I find alot of fish. Looks like you stuck a nice dinner.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Grouper

Jared, you've come a long way. Nothing like learning from the bow of a boat. I'm having to travel like you do and have moved west to Mississippi.Orange Beach, Perdido, back creeks here in Bama have been ghost towns.
drifterfisher likes this.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Sailfish

Terry I went to Perdido Key a while back, managed a couple. very poor over that way. I've kinda gotten a routine do here, and it seems to do good. BTW the HPS's are great... really hoping to find another 15$ 400 watter on CL.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
DMC
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterfisher View Post
Went last night and stuck 18-20 not sure. My brother took this batch home and is supposed to text a pic. These came from around FWB.

Saw well over 100 small 2"-10" fish.
Jared you didn't bring me any.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in