First Night Out (Fort Walton) 4/29 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Mingo

Default First Night Out (Fort Walton) 4/29

At the end of last summer found a good deal on a 79' Randall Craft that needed some work.

(Before)

(And some after shots)

(Notice the flounder light. We use the swing away battery power light using a brinkman test tube light)

(Father in Law made is this gig from stainless and turned down lodge pole, on its4th season)

(Light mounted in the 3" foam block prevents glare and rides the water well)

(The light folds back out of the boat and rests on the gig while moving to the next spot. Folding the light up andoff to the side helps keepthe water from dripping in the boat when pulling out of the water) Father in Law built these bench seats and they really worked out great... The swing arm is made from stainless rub rail off an old sailboat..

(our first night out produced these two. Not hearing of much success in the FWB area, really have to cover some ground to find them) Wife got the big one and I got the other..

The End :usaflag
Tippin Slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: First Night Out (Fort Walton) 4/29

that is like a king neptune gig
croakerchoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
croakerchoker (4/30/2008)that is like a king neptune gig
Man! You aren't going tolose any stuck fishwith that sucker! Sure leaves a wound though!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Sailfish

I'd save that thing and use it for a Gaff! Don't even have to gut'em! LOL! Just kidding man! Good to hear that you have family in on the fun too! That's what its all about to me! BTW boat turned out nice! I have seen a lot of different light set ups, and now another one I haven't seen! Is the one light enough? How bright is it? I think they make tose things with different watt bulbs in them don't they? I sure hope this area starts producing some! Guess I gotta stick it out longer and not turn around so soon! Bet they ate good! Congrats!
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Mingo

Below is an ad for the light... Itilluminatesthewater well when it is submergedand glare is not an issue. I would like to see how the surface mount generator rigs work.This method works well for us. Usually if there is a flounder wewill see it,and at least geta stab at it with "King Neptune's Trident"lol....That Neptune Gig comment was too damn funny... The guy who built it will get a kick out of that one...

Brinkmann Starfire II underwater fishing light. 250,000 candlepower, 12 volt DC, 10' cord with battery terminal clips. Can be used from a boat or off a dock. Attracts most baitfish, Squid, Crappie, Bass, Walleye and Shrimp. Light must be lowered below the surface of the water before connecting to a power source. Leave the light in the water at least a minute to cool after disconnecting the power.

Tippin Slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
White Marlin

The Starfires are nice (about $20), and I think they only come with one size bulb. They don't state the watts.....Maybe that can be figured out by "candle power"? Anyone know?

AquaStars (about $30) are very similar, and come with 50, 75, or 100 watt bulbs, and different colored tubes. You can also get replacement bulbs (about $9?). They say 2 50W bulbs spread apart work better than a single 100W.

Nice job on the boat by the way! Where'd you get the foam for the light???
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Snapper

Great looking makeover on the boat,and nice job on the flatties.Thanks for the report and pics.:letsdrink
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Mingo

use to you can get the foam at pioneer foam and plastics in pensacola but it has been a while since i have bought some
Longbeard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Flounderpounder (4/30/2008)The Starfires are nice (about $20), and I think they only come with one size bulb. They don't state the watts.....Maybe that can be figured out by "candle power"? Anyone know?
Here are the specs on the starfire II lights. With a 3.5 amp current draw at 12 volts it's actually 42 watts. Power = amps * volts

250,000 C.P. of penetrating White light .

50-watt halogen bulb<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 16px; LINE-HEIGHT: 19px"> (not replaceable)<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 16px; LINE-HEIGHT: 19px">.

Small and compact, easy to store.

Freshwater or saltwater use.

12 volt D.C. - 3.5 amp draw.

<U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 16px; LINE-HEIGHT: 19px">10' power- cord</U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 16px; LINE-HEIGHT: 19px"> with battery clips.

6" long, submersible, internally weighted
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Sailfish

Nice rework on the boat!! Those are some aggressive barbs on that gig. Kind of likethe pitch fork the devil carries around.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in