Converters - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Converters

Has anybody ever tried running a converter with the TM? Did some research and found some called Kopter Konverters that are supposed to be the ticket. They say alot of bowfisherman use them. Supposed to enable you to run all night and never lose any power from your batteries. I'm just trying to improve my setup and get some opinions. I don't normally start losing any power until around 4 in the morning as I currently run a 101# thrust 36 volt TM. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin
Default RE: Converters

good lord thats a big TM!!! i use a 50# 12v and have 2 batteries on it and have not lost any power in a night yet...although i have not made more then about a 4-5 hour trip. the converter your talking about im guessing that plugs into the generator and you run your TM with that...is that correct? if thats right i have never used anything like that but it does sound intresting. good luck with your setup!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Are you wanting to convert ac to dc? If so are you wanting to hook your TM straight to the converter?
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
White Marlin

I read where some guys hooked their TM's straight to the converters and they said that they had major problems amp/volt regulation. The ones I read about work similar to an alternator on a car but provide safe amperage for the TM. I already have a cord with my genny that will put an 8 amp charge out but even so I still have to shutdown for a while to get any benefit out of it.:banghead So I rarely exercise this option I just keep going till there is no go left. Its not uncommon for me to cover up to 8-10 miles of bank per night with the TM. MORE GROUND=MORE FISH!! Just didn't want to pour a whole bunch of money into something that I am not sure about?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

I have never tried this, but I have two converters in my mini warehouse, so I may check into this and give you some feed back. One of them weighs probally 40-60 lbs., I'm not sure what the amp output is though.

I run two Duralast batteries from Auto Zone (don't know the amp hours off the top of my head) with a 70# Minnkota rip tide tm with a Cabala's 2 bank 10 amp onboard charger and have no problems running it 10 hours a night on any speed. I have watched the charge indicator lights on my charger and as long as my generator is running there green. With that said I think the 2x10 charger runs the tm nearly by itself. I would think that a 3x10 onboard charger would be the better choice over the converter (waterproof vs. not, price, wattage draw,and etc.)
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
White Marlin

I may have to check into getting a better onboard charging system. The chargers I have now only put out about 2 amps each. I guess you could really call them maintainers instead of chargers. About the TM I also have the Riptide series and in the warranty it stated not to wire your cranking battery into the series with the trolling batteries. It said that the amperage output from your outboard would be to much on the TM and could possibly burn up the circuit board. This was the only thing that stopped me from just hooking up the charging cord from the genny directly to one of the batteries in the series.But if you have been running yours with 10 amps going to it. I guess it must not hurt. As I have said before any more suggestions will be readily accepted. I have got to figure something out!!! :doh

Old 06-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

I have a total of 4 batteries on my setup, 2 wired for 24 volt tm with the charger and 2 wired 12 volt for cranking, stereo, spot light. I also checked both my converters tonight and the smaller one is 13.8 volts @ 7.5 amps continuous and the big one is 14.4 volts @ 10 amps.

Last weekend I went with a buddy in his boat using a 12 volt 55 lb. tm with a regular battery charger hooked up, this was his first time with the charger and he was able to get a few more hours out of his battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in