Capaciter - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Default Capaciter

I just took some amp reading with a Fluke clamp-on and wanted to pass my results along to anyone that may be interested.

I have the hps lights from econo-light

Model Number E-HC1H1517/120vac 60 hz 3.2a

My capaciter is made by GE

Model Number 27F6808 / .5uf 480vac 69932-23r +/- 10%

Before Capactier

5.4a when first plugged in < 1 second

3.9a for 2 minutes

3.4a for 1 minute

2.9a for the next 20 minutes

With Capaciter

1.9a when first plugged in < 1 second

4.0a for 2 minutes

3.4a for 1 minute

3.2afor the next 20 minutes

What do you think about that?

I'm not so sure that I will use them, the only real drop in ampsis for less than a second. With the capaciters that I have my continuous amp draw has went from 17.4a to 19.2a for all 6 hps lights.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: Capaciter

Your capacitor is not big enough. You need a 55 mfd (microfarad) 370 volt capacitor. That capacitor that you tried will not do much for you. Mine will be here tomorrow and I will post the amp readings before and after installation.
wareagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
White Marlin

From what I have gathered some of you guys are having problems with the hps pulling to much amperage at startup. Not that it makes any difference now but I ordered mid size wide floods made by Howard Industries, 150's of course and I have had no problems. I have 4 of them and I also run them off of a 2000 watt Honda. I have 2 lights on each switch and can throw both switches at the same time and the genny never leaves idle speed. All I did was use 4 feet of 12/3 wire for the cords and and standard outdoor junction boxes to seal everything up. All connections were soldered together. Here are some pics of the lights.

complete setup

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Mingo

We are trying to run 6-150 watt HPS lights with the EU2000 generator. BBB could get 4 of his to run and the generator tripped when he plugged the fifth one in. I am guessing that you are pulling around 11-12 amps with the 4 lights that you have unless they have a capacitor inside already (some of the more expensive ones do). The lights that we have do not have the capacitor in them, so we are installing them externally to cut down on the amp draw. Do you have any way to measure the amp draw from one of your lights (or all 4)? I would be interested to know if your lights pull 3.4 amps like ours do? If so, you would have the generator almost maxed out (13.3 amps). I would think that yours probably has the capacitor installed and pulls about 1.4-1.7 amps. Some more info on your lights would be appreciated......
wareagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
White Marlin

I don't have anything to measure the amp draw myself, but I have friend that can probably get me the tool to do it with. You are right about them already having the caps installed. This was one of the first questions I asked before I ordered. I had already done some research and seen the problems others were having so I decided I was gonna do it right the first time!!! They were a little more expensive, about 90$ a piece give or take shipping and all. All total with the boxes, wire,nuts,bolts, knobs and other junk I have about 130$a piece in them, but they work, knock on wood, and I love them. They also have a 3 year warranty on the housing,2 year on the components, and 1 year on the bulb, no questions asked. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering what they offered. This year is the first year I have used and have put them through nothing short of pure hell and they haven't so much as flickered. I would recommend them to anybody. No more than what they seem like they pull I see no problem in running 2 or maybe 3 more off of the same genny. If I missed any thing just let me know, I'll try to help out anyway I can. I know firsthand how frustrating:banghead it can be trying to rig up a new system.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I have 2 lights on each switch and can throw both switches at the same time and the genny never leaves idle speed.

That's pretty dang impressive if it stays in the idle mode? I take it you have the switch on the Genny set to economy?

I just got my E-Cono 150's this evening. I tore one apart to see if there was room for the Cap. [I don't have them yet.]

It will be a while before I get to putting them on the boat and playing with them as I have a boat here that needs a little attention in the wiring department.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
X-Shark (7/28/2008)
Quote:
I have 2 lights on each switch and can throw both switches at the same time and the genny never leaves idle speed.
That's pretty dang impressive if it stays in the idle mode? I take it you have the switch on the Genny set to economy?

I just got my E-Cono 150's this evening. I tore one apart to see if there was room for the Cap. [I don't have them yet.]

It will be a while before I get to putting them on the boat and playing with them as I have a boat here that needs a little attention in the wiring department.

Thats right I always leave the econo switch on. I have an hour meter/rpm gage next time I hook them up I will check to see if there is an increase in rpm. There is really no audible increase so if there is any change it can't be more than 10-15 rpm. Just out of curiosity how much do the caps cost bought separatley.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

They are $10.68ea.

I bought 4 with shipping it came to $54.09

http://hidquickfix.com/cafor250wa.html

Don't worry that it says it's for a 250watt unit. The main thing you want here is the 55uf Cap.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

The caps I used, I got here at work to try before I bought some. My generator (Coleman Powermate 2250/1850)will run all 6 lights and I can start 5 of the 6 it just takes longer. It will start 4 at once with no problems. Theplug on the generator is a 15 amp and it's just a matter of time before it causes me a problem. Other than starting the sixth light it works fine, its never triped the breaker or bogged down. I think the problem starting my sixth light is going to be caused by a voltage loss not a amperage overload since the breaker does not trip. I can make it trip if I plug a power tool into it.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
Snapper

How many of you use GFIs. Seems with above water lights you could do without them. My lights are underwater 500 watts wired through a GFI.
mekell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in