Best time to flounder fish? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Best time to flounder fish?

I do a bit of inshore and offshore fishing but just recently started targeting flounder. I found a couple good spots and caughtsome andwant to know is the bitebetterearly, mid-day, late or does it matter? Which are better, incoming or outgoing tides?The ones I caughtwere caught at 7-9 am with an incoming tide. I'm also setting my boat up to do some gigging and can't wait, it looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Any help would be appreciated.

Ted
ted-hurst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
bbb
Mingo

Default RE: Best time to flounder fish?

I fish for flounder a couple times a year and the spot I fish produces best on a incoming tide, early in the morning.

Of course we've caught fish there from dawn to dusk, but it seems the tide is usually rising.

But the absolute best time to flounder fish is from dark thirty to dawn.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

hey ted, i've almost got my boat flounder ready, going today to pick-up my great white 24 volt 82 pound thrust trolling motor,.... just finished up the lights bout 2 days ago. i installed 3-500 watt quartz halogen lights on that handrail that almost cost me my job, (ask alan about that). will be using one of those new honda generators (2000 watt) for power. they are really quite. saw yourboat for sale on here. nice little rig. anyway, my daughter has me tied to the dock right now because she is supposed to be having a baby any day now, so i got all these new toys and no time to play. maybe you and alan should just come get my boat and go give everything a gigging test.........have to furnish your own ice though. lol see ya, mack
fishing with carl childers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Mingo

As far as gigging goes, you will always come across at least a few,

during anytime of the tide but I have found max numbers of fish are always at the pennacle of high tide and up to 2 hours past high tide.

Also at the max of high tide you can float across sand bars that previously you could not had reached and that previous untouched water can hold a lot of quality fish.

Put yourself in this situation and you can limit out real quick and even be picky about the fish you select.

Some folks will run out right at sunset on a night that high tide is due in at 03:00. They will work all night for a few fish and tire themselves out and pack it in right when they should had been starting out and all they'll have is a hand full of 14-16" fish when they could had had a limit of quality 18" to +20" fish with much less work.

There is nothing wrong with going out at sunset and enjoying yourself all night, I'm just saying there are more effiecient and productive ways to go about it.
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
2112 (7/25/2008)As far as gigging goes, you will always come across at least a few,

during anytime of the tide but I have found max numbers of fish are always at the pennacle of high tide and up to 2 hours past high tide.

Also at the max of high tide you can float across sand bars that previously you could not had reached and that previous untouched water can hold a lot of quality fish.

Put yourself in this situation and you can limit out real quick and even be picky about the fish you select.

Some folks will run out right at sunset on a night that high tide is due in at 03:00. They will work all night for a few fish and tire themselves out and pack it in right when they should had been starting out and all they'll have is a hand full of 14-16" fish when they could had had a limit of quality 18" to +20" fish with much less work.

There is nothing wrong with going out at sunset and enjoying yourself all night, I'm just saying there are more effiecient and productive ways to go about it.
High tide gigging may work in Texas, but it's a waste of time over here.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:

High tide gigging may work in Texas, but it's a waste of time over here.
OK but why is that?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Sailfish

Best on a low to rising tide over here, plus on a high tide the water is too high along the grass edges and bars to see the bottom clearly inmost places. I believe our back waters and marshes are different than yours. You have a lot more shallow flats and bars similar to LA and MS that are not even under water at low tide. We don't have an abundance of that. A bar or flat over here might have 6" to 1' of waterdepth at low tide and 3' at high tide.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Death From Above (7/28/2008)Best on a low to rising tide over here, plus on a high tide the water is too high along the grass edges and bars to see the bottom clearly inmost places. I believe our back waters and marshes are different than yours. You have a lot more shallow flats and bars similar to LA and MS that are not even under water at low tide. We don't have an abundance of that. A bar or flat over here might have 6" to 1' of waterdepth at low tide and 3' at high tide.
I second that motion!!! All jokes aside that is probably the main reason why fan motors are more logical over there and TM's over here. We simply don't have the great expanses of open ground to cover and what we do have now is disappearing at an alarming rate!!!:hoppingmad

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Mingo

Makes perfectly good sense to me.

I enjoy this Florida forum so I hope you guys don't mind my hanging and posting over here. You'd think Tx would have a forum like this but I sure can't find it and if you try to post about gigging in our Tx.forums the purist and tree huggers come out with flame thowers. Thats why I am here. As far as I can tell, this is the only place on the whole interweb where this info can be exchanged and welcomed.

I can see now how some info I pass along can be all wrong for your area.

One of the small things I do find interesting is the willingness to gig a stripped mullet. From everything I know, they are considered very good to eat in Fl. We can catch large ones by the bushell in our surf with a cast net but they get used as Bull Red bait. I've noticed when I filet one for cut bait how nice the meat looks but here it is thought because our waters are so murky it imparts a undesireable flavor to the flesh.

One other thing I've learned from this forum is sometimes you get a chance to gig large prawn sized shrimp, no such luck here. I will however get out of the boat to snatch the big pincher off a stone crab...makes for excellent stuffing.

I bet this will sound stupid but I've got to ask. Do ya'll ever come across large crustaceans other than prawns to get with a gig, say like, Lobster?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
2112 (7/28/2008)

Do ya'll ever come across large crustaceans other than prawns to get with a gig, say like, Lobster?

depends on what your drinking that night.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in