Battery/wading question!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Battery/wading question!!

Sometimes I'm not in the mood to rig/haul/clean the boat. Looking for a quick, easy way to do a little wading. I can use one of the lights off the boat (100W). I'm looking for a small, light batt. to put in a backpack? I've had a little tow behind (net boat) before, which was pretty cool, as I could carry a full sized 12V and a cooler, but thinking smaller setup this time. I'm thinking a sealed/gel type would be best (no acid spills...make sense?)???? Any advice appreciated, including size! I'm guessing I'll wade 2 hours MAX.
Not looking for something mega expensive, as I probably won't be doing it real often. Lastly, how do you stow your fish (stringer, bag, etc.)?

Thanks guys!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Default Rig

I use our kayak to tote gear, battery, and whatnot.
Plus if you want to go somewhere quick you can hop on the back and paddle.
Works pretty well, long as you remember to take a life jacket and a stern light so the po-po doesn't bust you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounderpounder View Post
Sometimes I'm not in the mood to rig/haul/clean the boat. Looking for a quick, easy way to do a little wading. I can use one of the lights off the boat (100W). I'm looking for a small, light batt. to put in a backpack? I've had a little tow behind (net boat) before, which was pretty cool, as I could carry a full sized 12V and a cooler, but thinking smaller setup this time. I'm thinking a sealed/gel type would be best (no acid spills...make sense?)???? Any advice appreciated, including size! I'm guessing I'll wade 2 hours MAX.
Not looking for something mega expensive, as I probably won't be doing it real often. Lastly, how do you stow your fish (stringer, bag, etc.)?

Thanks guys!
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

One of the guys on here makes a cool rig cauled the Mule. Aluminum float made just for floundering. Has light hook ups and can carry battery and tackle/cooler. Search for Mule.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
One of the guys on here makes a cool rig cauled the Mule. Aluminum float made just for floundering. Has light hook ups and can carry battery and tackle/cooler. Search for Mule.
Yep, Chris's "mule" is VERY cool. After seeing his, I named my net boat the gigging "ass" LOL. BUT, like I said, looking for a LIGHT easy 1 man rig, as well as inexpensive, as I have a pretty nice 18' boat rigged for gigging. Looking for advice on backpackable batts (like the title and OP says). Thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Mingo

I hear the AMG wheel chair batteries work well High amp hour for the size (UB12350) Size U1 35 amp hour should last 4 hrs !!!!! still weighs 25 lbs.
banjovie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I'm thinking a sealed/gel type
Quote:
I hear the AMG wheel chair batteries work well
That would be AGM [Advanced Glass Mat] batteries.
A AGM is not a gel battery, however it is a sealed battery and could be mounted on it's side or upside down.

I Just saw some yesterday at Vanoyes Tires @ the circle. They were made by Interstate Batteries and had a funky Cloth type strap system around them. Rudy said they were about $100.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
White Marlin

Thanks guys! 25lbs sounds like a lot! I'm guessing the average trip might be an hour or so. Right now I'm leaning toward a sealed 18AH (maybe 2 hours max?) made by Power-sonic. Weight about 12.6lbs. Prices range $40-55 or so. Make sense?

Last edited by Flounderpounder; 09-30-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Mingo

What kind of 100 watt light off your boat are you going to use, because different lights draw a different amount of amps. like Incandescent , Halogen
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIggaMon View Post
What kind of 100 watt light off your boat are you going to use, because different lights draw a different amount of amps. like Incandescent , Halogen
Well I'm no physics professor, but I believe "watts is watts".???? Light is an AquaStar 100W halogen.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Mingo

Watts are watts but different bulbs draw different amps for EXample An Incandesent 100 watt bulb should pull (100watts divided by 12 volts = 8.3333333 amps but then an Aquastar Halogen pulls 8 amps (thats what their web site says ) theres a little difference in amps, A GE Halogen 50 watt sealed bulb that I use pulls 3.3 amps but a incandesent 50 watt pulls 4.1666666 amps ) , so your 100watt Aquastar bulb and a 18 AH battery (18 AH divided by 8 amps = 2.25 2 Hours and 25.min I also found that the first couple of times I used my batterys they diddent last as long but each time I used them and recharged them they got where there sopost to be (maybe 3 trips) . You may already know this info if not I hope it helps
GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in