Basic light setup - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drifterfisher

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Basic light setup

I've only been flounder gigging once or twice and it was on other people's boats. Only ever stuck one fish and didn't get him. I didn't think it was a fish and it startled me when I stuck it and it took off

Anyhow, I have a little 17ft Pro Sports CC which is not an ideal boat but would probably work somewhat for gigging At least it should work better than my 26 Horn. I also already have a Honda 2000 so I have AC power. What should I look at for lights that are reasonable but decent to try on my own?
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Sailfish

To see if you like going on that boat go to wally world and pick up a couple 10$ halogen work lights, and stop by lowes for some wood/PVC and make a temp bracket for the lights. You will have about 30 bucks in it. You do have a trolling motor, right? And a gig? If you decide to go bigger/better got to econolight.com and order the 150w HPS or the 400W HPS if your loaded. Now go stick some fish and post the pics.
gigability likes this.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Grouper

I have an old 12v trolling motor but I doubt it would move the boat in any wind or sea. The boat also only has 1 battery. I didn't think about the work light halogens. Thanks for that idea. I don't have a gig yet either but that isn't a big deal. I can find a gig.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Sailfish

You would be surprised what an old 12v trolling motor will do. A 17' boat isn't that big. I would definitely get a battery for the trolling motor separate of the engine battery. Make use of the 12v output of the honda also, wire it to the trolling motor battery if you plan on staying out for several hours.

Where are you located? My boat is under going surgery at the moment, but if your close to the FWB area I'll take you when its done. I'm running halogens for the time being, when funds allow I'll be going to HPS.
Here is a link to the build thread.
http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnectio...read23731.html
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in