Another Texan Nooby - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Another Texan Nooby

Hey everybody, Names Paul , found out about your site from 2112 on Fishwestend site here in Texas . Hadn't been fishing much in the last few years due to our hog infestation . I descovered Gen. 3 night vision hunting and went crazy with that . Now the freezer is full of nothing but pork and I'm tired of it . Time to gig some flatties .
WestGalBay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Wecome Paul. I have a set of night vision gogles but I don't hunt with them. I picked them up several years ago at a pawn shop thinking that they might be cool to play with on the water at night. i am curious about the hog infestation. Is there a population explosion or has hunting been limited in Texas? As you can tell I know little about hog hunting.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Texas has a big hog problen and other states are to follow shortly. Just to keep hog numbers down you would have to kill 70% anually . In 9 trips to a friends corn fields me and 3 other guys killed 128 hogs. We patrol the fields in a Suzuki Samuri in total darknest.They are the smartest wild animal in North America . They can't be patterned per say and can go totally noctunal . We've tried everything they learn what trap is , they can see red lights and can smell and hear like you wouldn't believe. Night vision and stealth are the only way to go. I think Texas is the only state you can night hunt in . Texas 24/7 any means other than poision and explosives .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Grouper

Welcome Paul
Alot of good people in this forum and I just joined yours. Check out the floundering contest on your forums link. Best 8 bucks you'll ever spend. Never know how big a fish you'll come across, especially in Texas.Glad to have you
bamafan611
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Trigger

Wirelessly posted (iPhone)

Florida hog population is second only to Texas. And yes you can hunt at night with a spot light and permit. Not sure about use of NVG but wouldn\'t be surprised if it\'s also legal. Eglin AFB is infested with them.

Last edited by reeltime; 07-12-2011 at 11:07 PM.
reeltime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Grouper

Who could I contact to go shot some hogs? The gudes want way to much money for shot something they want to get rid of.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

The problem is the land owners can't trust just anybody on their property . I'd look at Nighthogs.com and talk to Randy . Tell him the bald headed guy that hunts in Burlington sent you . Randy hunts in Seguin which is down I-10 from ya'll. The other problem is most hogs move at night , and if you don't have night vision equiptment you won't get a shot . Day hunts just don't produce the numbers . Randy might , just might do some trading with you for some Florida fishing. If he won't I might .
Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Grouper

Well I won't be able to help him with the fishing part right now because I'm stationed in Korea, but if he is around in November I'm sure we could work something out. I understand the part about not letting just anyone on your land, I've heard of cow being shot for hogs. I just came from New Mexico where a good friend of mine had a ranch where people shot his hourse for an elk...Dumb a**es. Anyways I would be willing to go with someone.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Grouper

Welcome to the site Tex! Lots of hogs all throughtout the SE too, and you're right on about the hog population spreading to all states...just a matter of time now. Thanks Ponce de Leon!
Fish-n-Fur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Mingo

What up Paul. Let me know if you want to make room in the freezer for Flounder, Muah!
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in