Advice for wading... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Advice for wading...

Anyone out there done their gigging while wading or walking through the water?
I'm sure a flat bottom boat is Ideal, just don't have access, and I like a challenge anyhow!

Any info or input will Help,

Thanks guys
dwatts1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Sailfish

I always do my gigging while wading through the water since I don't have a boat. I wade where I can see the bottom so I don't step on a stingray.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Sailfish

Years ago,
I use to wade and did quite well.
Had a #15 or #20 washtub that sat in a tire inner tube so it would float. The washtub held a 12 volt battery for flounder light and what ever else you needed to take with you. I would tie about a 6 foot piece of small rope to the washtub handle, and hook it on my belt loop to pull it along as I waded.
Homemade flounder light. Several different types were made. The best I can remember, was a 12 volt sealed beam utility light for a tractor about 4 inches in diameter. Got it at a NAPA store. I siliconed it in a PVC pipe bell reducer and reduced it down to a 1 inch pipe for a handle. It would not blind you bad. Made some out of a 12 volt house type bulb and an aluminum pie pan as a reflector. You had to have the bulb underwater before you turned it on or off, else it would get hot and shatter.
If I were to do it again, would buy one made up from a bait shop or wal-mart. Wear a pair of old tennis shoes and shuffle your feet to stay off stingrays and other things that could poke your feet.
I could not tell you of how many miles of shoreline I walked, or how many flounder and crabs I caught. It was easier than polling a boat along.

I thought about it the other day, to show my Son the "old school" way of gigging. I don't know where you can buy a good galvanized washtub anymore.
Give it a try, it is a bunch of fun!
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Mingo

Wow thanks. That's just the info I needed. Ive tried a few different things and pulled a few flatties... but wasn't sure if there was a more efficient way of going about gigging the lil boogers!
Galvanized, rubbermaid... all the same to me Thank so much for the input!!! Think its really going to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO-NUFF View Post
Years ago,
I use to wade and did quite well.
Had a #15 or #20 washtub that sat in a tire inner tube so it would float. The washtub held a 12 volt battery for flounder light and what ever else you needed to take with you. I would tie about a 6 foot piece of small rope to the washtub handle, and hook it on my belt loop to pull it along as I waded.
Homemade flounder light. Several different types were made. The best I can remember, was a 12 volt sealed beam utility light for a tractor about 4 inches in diameter. Got it at a NAPA store. I siliconed it in a PVC pipe bell reducer and reduced it down to a 1 inch pipe for a handle. It would not blind you bad. Made some out of a 12 volt house type bulb and an aluminum pie pan as a reflector. You had to have the bulb underwater before you turned it on or off, else it would get hot and shatter.
If I were to do it again, would buy one made up from a bait shop or wal-mart. Wear a pair of old tennis shoes and shuffle your feet to stay off stingrays and other things that could poke your feet.
I could not tell you of how many miles of shoreline I walked, or how many flounder and crabs I caught. It was easier than polling a boat along.

I thought about it the other day, to show my Son the "old school" way of gigging. I don't know where you can buy a good galvanized washtub anymore.
Give it a try, it is a bunch of fun!
dwatts1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I don't know where you can buy a good galvanized washtub anymore.
I bet you could find it at Reynolds Hardware or Tractor Supply. 9mi rd.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Sailfish

Thanks X,
forgot about Reynolds, TSC or Pensacola Hardware. Hate to say it, but the big box stores get most of my business now.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to robbiewoodcutter

harbor freight has some nice little spot lights for $9 there rechargable but only last about 20 -25 mins and need to be charged again.i bought three .its easier than toting a heavy 12 v battery around
robbiewoodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Sailfish

I carry my small 12v deer feeder battery in my back pack. It's not that heavy when carrying it this way.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Mingo

I am going to try gigging someday. I heard all I have to do is shine a light in the water and if I see something round, stab it! Can't be all that hard. Then again after reading these posts, could be a stingray? Is there an easy way to tell the difference?
Pi Lvr83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Trigger

You gotta graduate to modern day giggin. Use a small lawn tractor/motorcycle battery w/ halogen lights w/ connections soldered and potted in epoxy resin monted on a pvc pole,make sure and use a disk reflector so as not to blind you. Backpack and drag a mesh bag w, your fish. Dive boots to protect the dogs and keep 'em warm. Last year there was this awesome creation on the forum: a boat made of large diameter pvc. Easy ,fun, and cheap to build and hands down better than foolin w/ intertubes and kids rafts, plus you can tote the all important cocktail cooler!
navkingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in