? about lights, HPS vs MH's - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Mingo

Default ? about lights, HPS vs MH's

I have a 12v underwater system but look forward to supplementing this with MH or HPS...I think halogens are out of the question.

I will be gigging in waters averaging 6-24" deep and sometimes murky with a rippliy surface

What may be the pros and cons of each?

Is one type of bulb hotter to stand behind than the other?

Research shows MH bulbs are more exspensive than HPS, is one bulb more durable than the other?

I am leaning towards running 4 x 150w HPS's powered by a EU2000i, does this sound like a good application for my hunting needs.
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: ? about lights, HPS vs MH's

your hps will give more of a red/orange where your mh will be white/blueing white, which in my opinion will make it easier to see. someone has mh lights set up on his boat, he offered to show someone the difference...outta be chiming in soon.
lil_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
Snapper

If i were to have to pick one of the two it would be the HPS i like the light better from the MH but they are power hungry lights and they do put out some serious heat.The HPS only draws alot at startup where the MH is a contiuous hard amp draw.Hope this helps some.Forgot to mention that the MH bulbs are quite a bit more than the HPS are,like we don't spend enough on our rigs to go play in 2' or less water.:doh
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
Last Chance (5/13/2008)If i were to have to pick one of the two it would be the HPS i like the light better from the MH but they are power hungry lights and they do put out some serious heat.
I'm not too clear on this LC, wich one are you saying puts out more heat?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
White Marlin

I currently run 4 300 watt halogens, but I have 2 150 watt hps's ordered. Gonna mount them and try them out as soon as get them. I have heard a alot of good things about them in for use in murky water. we'll find out I hope. If they waork good I intend on ordering 2 more to complete the rig.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
Snapper

Quote:
2112 (5/13/2008)
Quote:
Last Chance (5/13/2008)If i were to have to pick one of the two it would be the HPS i like the light better from the MH but they are power hungry lights and they do put out some serious heat.
I'm not too clear on this LC, wich one are you saying puts out more heat?

The MH will put out more heat.I like the MH lamps but the best bang for the buck is gonna be the HPS lights,they are alot more efficient to run.
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

I just talked with a couple of E&I guys here at the mill and this what they had to say: hps lights are cooler than mh and halos, the bulbs are not as sensitive, a 150 watt hps draws 6amps on start up and runs on 3amps, with the hps lightsyou can not change the bulbs to a lower or higher wattage with out changing the ballast and striker, the cri is the worst on the hps and the best on the halo's.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about hps or mh lights, just passing along some info
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
Gnwdad (5/14/2008)I just talked with a couple of E&I guys here at the mill and this what they had to say: hps lights are cooler than mh and halos, the bulbs are not as sensitive, a 150 watt hps draws 6amps on start up and runs on 3amps, with the hps lightsyou can not change the bulbs to a lower or higher wattage with out changing the ballast and striker, the cri is the worst on the hps and the best on the halo's.
Tell the E&I dept. I said thanks. Thats good info.

A little research also shows HPS has about twice the service life. Are the E&I people saying the HPS bulbs are more rugged / resistant to shock such as taking a pounding mounted on a bow.

I dont know how important thecolor rendition index will be, I just want to be able to spot them easier. We have alot of fish and there is no telling how many I have passed duetopoor lighting.

I think I am leaning hard to HPS lights becausein other post they are referenced as being the best for cloudy water and distorted surfaces and even though the color may be odd, it will be a better choice for my locale.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Trigger

i was going to rig my little boat with a 250 hps with a remote ballist, changed my mind on that. used only a few times. 100 bucks or make me an offer. pics are in various stuff 4-sale. didn't mean to derail
lil_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Trigger

I haven't had any experience with the MH's...but I've ran 12V, Halo's and now HPS's. I was turned on to the HPS's by newwavearchery on here and I'm very satisfied with the them. Although, the other 2 mentioned work great also. The HPS's seem to be more effective in murky and ripped water. Me and fishexpress order ours at the same time and have had them for about 7-8 months, maybe longer and have not blown any bulbs yet. They are definitely worth trying...and once you have them, your probably going to order the other 2 for your set up. Good luck and hope to see you on the water.:letsdrink
Reel Twiztid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in