1am to 4am flatties - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Grouper

Default 1am to 4am flatties

Had what was by far my worst percentage of fish seen to gigged in my life last night. Hit the water about 1am left at 4 with 12 but missed opportunities at 19 fish. Now not all of those were legitimate shots at em with some being stepped on crossing deeper water that couldnt even come close to seeing in or spooking from 15 feet away as soon as the light hit em but at least 8 of those should have been on the string. Multiple factors made it very tough last night and I mean it was tough. Light west wind which by itself would have been no problem but there was also a little murk so the combination limited my vis quit a bit. Started loosing vis at about 8 inches and by 10 inches couldnt make out any detail on the bottom and the fish all seemed to be holding in about 10-12 inches of water. A few times I would see "something" and gig it and often it was a flounder....sometimes I would get it and sometimes I would gig right next to it or barely hit it and it would tear off. Also a few times I would see what I thought was a flounder and gig it and it turned out to be a bed and the flounder that made it was laying about 2 feet away just a little bit deeper and would take off when I gigged the bed. Still not a bad nght but man is it frustrating to see all those little dust streaks taking off.

Last edited by jvalhenson; 06-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
jvalhenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Trigger

I'm jealous! Nice trip. Out of Mississippi?
Ruger7mmmag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Mingo

Nice haul , it seems like the farther west from FL the quantity of fish gets better . Keep up the great reports !
fulish850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Trigger

When I lived in PC, we used to NAIL them in a number of places. The banks behind "Under the Oaks" park near Tyndall. Behind shell island. Then we used to absolutely drill them on the banks east of the 331 bridge. Never gigged in Pcola though or in Mobile yet. Though the time is getting close to give it a shot. Have done a bit of softshelling here with some good success before the spill though. Wasn't brave enough to eat them last year so we took a year off!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Grouper

Yes in MS. As far as goin west and gettin more fish I can tell you they aren't just layin everywhere here. It takes a lot of patience, years of finding spots, and lots of walking/lookin but once you do find where some places where they like to lay you can get a mess. 100 yards in or out or going right instead of left when you start a lot of nights is the diff in gettin 3 vs a limit. Seems like now we have more people lookin for flounder than we have flounder....I have not had a single night yet where someone hasn't come out on top of me and cut me off. Last night a guy was coming from the other direction so once we got close I turned and started back where I came. He got out of the water and trotted about 20 yards past me and came back out just to get in front of me. Was very difficult to keep calm but my heavy string vs his totally empty one was satisfaction enough. Man I miss gettin softshells...that is by far my favorite thing in the sound...used to be nothin to go pick up 5 or 6 dozen on a full moon summer night but now a great night is 5 or 6 crabs instead of 5 or 6 dozen. I guess its just to many crab pots out there now so the ones we get to pick up are next to none. I did find a spot up one of our rivers that is slam full of crabs so plan on checkin that for softies on the next full moon.
jvalhenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Default question

In all my years of gigging, I've never seen a softshell out there. I've tapped on many crabs , but they are all hard. Are you finding hard crabs that are about to bust, or are they already soft? I've gotten soft shells in the daytime in grass beds, but never at night. By the way, nice fish. I scouted an area in LA last year and found the fish. I scouted my butt off and it has payed off. Luckily I haven't seen anyone else out there gigging so I have it all to myself.
TurtleLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
Trigger

When I usually see them, I'm not floundering, but it is at night in an area different than where these guys are looking. More north of there in Mobile Bay. They are usually so soft when you find them that they can't even move when you go to pick them up. Usually get them the same time these guys are gigging. Low tides seem to work best in my experience.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Sailfish

Another nice mess of Miss. fish WTG. Yeah the water in the Sound hasn't been that good so fsr this year, seems to get worst on the in comin tide. Ain't nothin I hate more than for someone to come and jump in front of me.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Mingo

Default Awsome haul!

People dont understand how much effort it takes and miles walked to get a limmit wading. We cover a third of the water a boat covers in an hour, and work our butts off to kill that many fish. Great Job!!!
banjovie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Grouper

Jval, what kind of gig head are you using? You do a great job of keeping those fish pretty. I can't find but where I see maybe one fish in those pictures with holes. Congrats on some nice fish. Keep them coming!
Travis12Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in