Shark Fishing by Sandestin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Shark Fishing by Sandestin

I am going back down to my condo this week and wondering how the shark fishing has been out by the Hilton beach? I have never really caught any sharks out here but i want to try it this time i go down. Also im bringing my 21 ft deep-v boat this time keeping it at legendary. Any good news in the bay?
Blazerz65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
The Tourist
Sailfish

might want to move this to the questions forum. there are plenty of threads in there about shark fishing and destin is a good spot.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Trigger

Just so you know, shark fishing is illegal from or within 2500 feet of the beach in SOUTH WALTON County..... I found this out the hard way 3 weeks ago, but luckily I got off pretty easy. The Hilton and of SanDestin Area is in South Walton. I was fishing for sharks from Grayton beach when the code enforcement truck payed me a visit. It's illegal to: blood bait, chum, or Intentionally fish for sharks from the shore. I personally don't care if you do or don't, but if Johnny Law dog payes you a visit, then tell him you are "red fishing" ;-)
bigtallluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallluke View Post
Just so you know, shark fishing is illegal from or within 2500 feet of the beach in SOUTH WALTON County..... I found this out the hard way 3 weeks ago, but luckily I got off pretty easy. The Hilton and of SanDestin Area is in South Walton. I was fishing for sharks from Grayton beach when the code enforcement truck payed me a visit. It's illegal to: blood bait, chum, or Intentionally fish for sharks from the shore. I personally don't care if you do or don't, but if Johnny Law dog payes you a visit, then tell him you are "red fishing" ;-)
When you say code enforcement who are you talking about? If you were fishing in Grayton state park then I know that is illegal. You cant shark fish from the beach at any state park in Florida. There is no law against shark fishing in walton county that I know. I have talked to FWC about this a few times and you can chum from the beach, IMO it's not necessary but it is legal. 2 hooks in the same bait and treble hooks are about the only thing that you can't do for sharks. As long as you follow the shark regulations regarding size and species you will be fine. I am not calling you a liar but more than likely it was a park ranger you spoke to even if you didnt go through the park and went out by red bar.
DustinE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinE View Post
When you say code enforcement who are you talking about? If you were fishing in Grayton state park then I know that is illegal. You cant shark fish from the beach at any state park in Florida. There is no law against shark fishing in walton county that I know. I have talked to FWC about this a few times and you can chum from the beach, IMO it's not necessary but it is legal. 2 hooks in the same bait and treble hooks are about the only thing that you can't do for sharks. As long as you follow the shark regulations regarding size and species you will be fine. I am not calling you a liar but more than likely it was a park ranger you spoke to even if you didnt go through the park and went out by red bar.
When I say code enforcement I mean that South Walton literally has a code enforcement truck that rides on the beach and patrols the local beaches. It's a white Toyota tundra that says "code enforcement" on it and has the south Walton logo on it. The officers name is Jeff Mcvay that patrols at night.
I was not at Grayton beach state park, I was on Grayton beach with my permitted vehicle. (Behind red bar)

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentC...Home/View/1366

Page 6 of 21 addresses fishing. Paragraph B specifically addresses shark fishing, blood baiting, and chumming. All definitions are at the top of page.

I was not aware of any rules against it either untill I was approached by Mr Mcvay that evening.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Trigger

Thanks for the info. Is using cut bait considerrd "blood-baiting"
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Trigger

The article defines "Blood baiting" as using blood or bloody fish parts to attract sharks.
That definitely leaves room for interpretation, but I don't think it necessarily means cut bait. I personally think that if you were using bonito as cut bait, then that might be asking for trouble, but at the same time I don't think they can prove it or enforce it since the definition is a little "loose".
I definitely don't want you guys to think I am trying to be "forum police" and tell people what they can and can't do, I'm just advising to be careful in your wording if you encounter a L.E. officer while shark fishing in S. Walton.
To be honest I will probably fish again from the shores of S Walton with steel leader and 18/0 circle hooks, but I will be careful on what I say if confronted. With that said, I won't go to SanDestin Beach resort when there are 500 swimmers in the water on a busy weekend either. Gotta use common sense and courtesy to swimmers if your gonna do such a thing in a populated area.
Just remember You can't help what bites your bait. Good luck and tight lines!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Trigger

I hope you dont get the impression that I am fishing by 500 swimmers... I walk about a mile down the beach ans fish for reds... doesnt say that a 6ft shark moght pic up a nice piece of lady fish though
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Trigger

Tons of sharks here in Crystal Beach.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Trigger

Where is that at? Sorry new to the area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in