A rookie needs some advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By amdoch
  • 1 Post By THE POMPANO KING
  • 3 Post By cmacfish

Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default A rookie needs some advice

Guys,
I'm a bass fisherman from TN and a rookie to surf fishing. I'm coming down to Pensacola Beach on Saturday with my wife and daughter for spring break and want to do some surf fishing. I tried last spring and the fall before and all I've caught is some ocean cat on squid. I would really love to catch some pompano or something different but not sure what rig to use or bait to purchase. From what I can tell by reading on here, sand fleas are the best followed by shrimp. I can't break the budget so I'm thinking shrimp may be my best option. Also, we are staying near the Fort Pickens side. Any and all tips/advice will be greatly appreciated..
cmacfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Go to walmart or any tackle shop and just pick up some pompano rigs. They usually come in sets of 2-3 hooks per rig and make it easy since you will just have to throw on a weight. I usually try to stick to 1-2 oz pyramid weights unless the surf is just going crazy. There is a stickied post in the surf fishing forum that helped me a lot (I grew up on freshwater fishing) on how to read the beach/water flow. Read through that and it should help a lot with placing your bait. Lots of good info on this forum or you can shoot me a message too (I am no expert but I am always willing to help)

Regarding bait.. You can buy a sandflea rake for about $20 and try to catch your own sandfleas which will work great, but buying live shrimp is usually easier. Just throw 2-3 shrimp on the hooks, toss it out and start relaxing!

Dont forget the cold beer and to post pictures of your huge catch!
Redfisher53 likes this.
amdoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Never take squid to the beach , worst bait ever for surf fishing. Go to a seafood market and buy fresh shrimp. Take their head off and peel them,cut them in half if they are large shrimp.
Redfisher53 likes this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info. We usually set up at the pavilions just before Ft Pickens and find a quiet area away from everyone. Hopefully I can learn enough about reading the beach/water before Saturday.
Is there a website to get the creel limits, etc?

Thanks for the info and hopefully I'll have some pics to post.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Mingo

When you bait the shrimp, run the barb through the bottom of the stomach, through until the shank is straight, turn the whole hook until you can run the barb through the back to the stomach again. They'll be upside down, but you won't lose as many casting. I might know a guy who just fed the fish until he started doing it this way...
Army_of_One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

These are 2 keepers out of the 5 I caught yesterday on shrimp between 12:15 and 3:30. I also missed another 3. I caught nothing on Sunday and realized I need to learn to read the surf. Did some studying Sunday night and found a new spot yesterday about 100 yards own. Today is my last day and going to try it again. Thanks for all of the tip and advice.
Attached Images

SteveCal, Army_of_One and Chechem like this.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacfish View Post
These are 2 keepers out of the 5 I caught yesterday on shrimp between 12:15 and 3:30. I also missed another 3. I caught nothing on Sunday and realized I need to learn to read the surf. Did some studying Sunday night and found a new spot yesterday about 100 yards own. Today is my last day and going to try it again. Thanks for all of the tip and advice.
Good job. Wish my students learned so fast!!
Chechem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in