Pompano at Navarre.. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Pompano at Navarre..

looked at the surf cam and could hear the Pompano calling..

so I packed the wetsuit and got to the beach about 11am.. walked the beach looking for the perfect spot.. tried several holes and never really connected... actually missed 2 due to corroded barbs.. I really hate to miss the first and last fish...

had a picture in my mind of a flat reaching to a break in the bar... and eventually found something similar.. waded 3-4' depths PLUS wave heights to cast... at first it was a challenge.. and then a real chore... got my feet knocked out from under me twice... that got my attention.. then lost my favorite hat to a big wave.... oh well, I have another favorite somewhere

but did catch my limit of Pompano.. nothing over 14"... but pretty fish and really feisty in the heavy wave action.

also caught a slot Red as the first fish..

at least I am redeemed from the skunking on Sunday...

wave forecast calling for even bigger waves.. only hope the period is longer.. I am tired. but probably will suit up tomorrow PM
Rick Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.
Default RE: Pompano at Navarre..

Congrats.

Way Cool Report.

Thanks.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Trigger

You really are dedicated running out into this kind of surf at this time of year. Good luck again and be safe.
Turbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Good report ....

I take it all of your pomps were on or over the bar?

Be careful in that surf tomorrow.
chinook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

wow... even bigger waves.. maybe too much to fish but a great opportunity to locate the best rips for spring trips..

I would certainly recommend a walk on the beach in the next several days.. very revealing of depths and current action..

yesterday I was fishing inside the bar in a fairly small trough.. somehow the tidal action at this rip created a delta or flat that reached toward the gap in the bar... but left a somewhat narrow trough... I would cast a trio of rods and wait... the Pompano seemed to prefer this area for feeding in these conditions.. all I can figure is that the fleas get swept off the delta into the trough..

an interesting note... I was fishing normal double-drop rigs with live fleas.. and trying to use smaller fleas such that they would stay attached during the cast.. toward the end of the trip I was tired and cold.. and the flea supply was dwindling.. so the last cast included a big flea up top and a very small one on the bottom.. and of course during the dodging of waves and cold water running down the wetsuit.. I cast off the big one.. too lazy to retrieve and catch another flea I left it.. thinking maybe.. or perhaps.. so what if a fish can't find it..

well, you guessed it.. the last and biggest fish of the trip did find it... no teaser, no color.. just a 1/0 hook and a very small flea..
Rick Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

good job:clap
hunterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in