Pompano catch at N.B. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Pompano catch at N.B.

Sandy and I got out shortly after 2pm and the afternoon bite was right on target... pretty conditions and the activity was focused around 3pm.. it was all over by 4pm..

plenty of fleas.. we were casting just inside of the bar churn area..

expect this bite to be aroujnd for the next 3 days or so.. maybe longer if you can fish in rougher conditions..

only by-catch were 3 pretty Reds.. 2 were slot.. the other just over..

a few of the smaller Pompano and a Redfish had hitch hiking Flukes.. at least that is what I call them.. some pesky parasite that would be great for a horror film with the right magnification.. I plucked them off and returned the fish.. these parasites seem worse in cool waters... maybe the fish pick them up inshore... anyone have insight on this..
Rick Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Pompano catch at N.B.

Great Report!!!! Glad to finally here some good news on the Beach. I heard there was a little action on PCB today as well.

Got photos?

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Trigger

Unreal. I hit the 3rd access to the west at 3pm and for the next 3 hours got nothing. What part of the beach were you on? Maybe the fresh peeled shrimp wasn't the ticket today. I am going to try again tomorrow. I need to learn how to dig for fleas.
Turbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

Yikes! I was out at NB today today with a big fat 0... tried live fleas and fresh peeled shrimp. Still was good to get out there....

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I chose a beach to fish that had plenty of soft sand and fleas.... with a bar breaking waves that was almost continuous for nearly a 1000'... there were chutes thru the bar but not more than 150' at the widest...

my rods were spread widely at first... and had to run for the fish which means lots of twisted leader by the time Sandy could get there... and she is probably the fastest woman in the county....

I was fishing my longest rods.. 11, 12, 13 and 17' with best casting lines.. 15# pline floroclear, 30# suffix.. and my casts from the lip.. trying not to get wet above my stomach..

my casts were barely long enough with best efforts... what I mean is that I would cast off the fleas when I really got it to the mark... and when I really got everything together... I would get a bite in fairly short order..

I did pass up several good looking locations to get to my spot... and I discounted them as breaking too close or too large of a hole adjacent to the bar.. I really feel these passed locations would produce but probably less fish..

I have a cart that allows me to run down the beach fairly quickly so I enjoy getting away from others.. please don't ask me for where I am fishing or for pictures... if I catch an unusual fish I will post.. those that know me suspect my posts are accurate. hope you understand.

Chris
Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Trigger

Thanks for the insight. You obviously have been at this a while. It sounds like the fish are pretty far out there now. Is that pretty common this late in winter or does it just vary by day?
Turbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I am sure it does vary by day... and honestly I didn't try in the closer bars until the bite was over.... so I can't say for sure..

that is the fun of Pompano fishing.. it takes a while to get the hang of it.. and you always have to start from scratch on the next trip..

there are posters here that get out there more than me and catch more.. I live in Pace and try to make my trips count..

I know J.Purdy, fishermon and chinook know their way on the beach... read thru their posts for real insight..
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

went out Sunday afternoon expecting a 4pm bite... NOT... this know-it-all doesn't... if you know what I mean..

did catch a 26" Red and something large disappeared with my leader in-tow..

in hind-sight.. we might have produced fish by fishing the flats.. didn't try that.. or maybe wading.. but the water temps are discouraging that.

plenty of sand fleas.. and conditions seemed good... the fish had to be eating somewhere..

here's tribute to the elusive Pompano..
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Good report Rick Shaw. I haven't hit the beach much in the past couple of weeks since the false albacore bite turned off. Sight fishing for albies from the beach is a blast. But, a die-hard pomp fisherman told me he was picking up limits of pomps during the first hour or so after day-break. And, they were inside the bar. I may have to start doing the run and gun thing w/the one long rod and1 short one.
chinook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in