Pensacola Beach, May 5 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Pensacola Beach, May 5

Fished Pensacola Beach this morning from 0600-0945. Fished 2 rods with shrimp on the bottom hook and a frozen sand flea on the top hook.

Started off with a ladyfish, followed by a small black tip shark then another ladyfish. Got the first pomp at 0800 (14.5?) and the second one at 0915 (15?). Both pomps on the sand fleas. Not a bad morning.

I still have not hooked a redfish in 3 or 4 years of fishing the surf for pompano in the Spring. I posted on the ?Surf Fishing-General Q & A? forum hoping to get some ideas on why I have not tied into one, but only one reply. This forum gets more action, so maybe someone here can give me a hint on what I might be doing wrong-or is it just bad luck?

I do pretty well on pomps fishing two 9 ft. rods, with sand fleas on both when I can get them, or a fresh shrimp/sand flea combo. I have caught pomps, cats, whiting, ladyfish, rays, sharks, and a sheepshead-but nary a red. I sure would like to see that "doubled over rod" that everyone else on this forum talks about.
Macman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Pensacola Beach, May 5

i limited out in 1 1/2 hours on the pomp so i went to bob sikes and got one flounder one bow/arrow guy got 4 sheephead.
olilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

To me its luck. I have been surf fishing for about 4 years. I have caught 4 redfish, 2 oversize, 2 in the slot. I have also caught Spanish Mackeral, Bonito, Flounder, Jack Cravelle, hard tail, ladyfish, catfish, stingray, puffer fish, crabs, bluefish, whiting, pompano, needlefish(ballyhoo?),and evenspadefish. I have seen but not caught shark, cobia, sheephead, dolphins and even an alligator gar!

Most of the time I was fishing for Pompano or whiting, so to me its just timing and luck. I caught one on a lightweight 7 foot rod with 12lb test (and a BIG sand flea) and another on a10 foot rod with 20lb test and piece of fresh shrimp. The only rhyme or reason for me has been that I have caught them all inevening.
comparin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Trigger

Macman08, try getting some finger mullet 4-6" live or dead. A cut chunk or dead mullet will draw a lot of attention in the surf zone. Bull reds love'em. I know the cats and blues will come also but get that sink sent going in the water and the reds will follow. Give it a shot the next few mornings with these's strong spring tides and give us an update.

Tight lines
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Sailfish

I agree, even take you a couple of Cigar Minnows with you if you're going to be out on the beach at daybreak. Cut one in half if you want, and keep a close eye on that rod though! I find daybreak to be the time to get them. Plus, you might have to fight off a bunch of other stuff too, but it'll give a person some exercise!
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Hey Guys, thanks for the hints on getting a red. I will definitely get some of those cigar minnows before I go out next time.

Went out yesterday morning for from 0600-0800, fished with frozen sand fleas and didn't even get a hit. But, a couple down the beach from me several hundred yards picked up 3, so they were there-I must have just been in the wrong spot.
Macman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in