Orange Beach/Perdido Pass 6-8/6-14 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Orange Beach/Perdido Pass 6-8/6-14

Took my wife,grandkids(G10&B7), daughter#2(not the mother) andher boyfriend to OB for the week.

1)Started out the week at a friends house in Fairhope went to the city pier on Sunday AM and absolutely nothing was hitting. Only saw one guy get a couple of mullet with a cast net.

2)Monday AM city pier same results.

3)Tuesday AM I left the condo at about 5AM and had the second most succesful day of the trip as I went by Mo's Tackle and landed a 7' 0" Tidemaster(St Croix)........I needed another inshore rod for a made in USA Penn 260 Slammer I picked up the other day. Mo's had a little sale on so I could not resist. Later I went down to the PP Bridge without my gear and a couple of folks were catching Grey Snapper on live shrimp but all and all pretty slow. Took my grandson (7) down to Zeke's to see the boats come in with the fish. He was less than enthusiastic at first but then he got to touch the fish, see a 77.2# yellowfin(from Summer Breeze II)and feed scraps from tha cut-up table to the pelicans. As we left he asked if we could go back tomorrow.

4)WednesdayAM I went back to the West Jetty.....a few people were catching the typicalladyfish, gafftops, grunts...one guy caught a small Spanish. I went with my Buddy from Fairhope back the the seawall on the westside and there were several huge baitballs. We caught a few grunts on dead shrimp. Something about 13-18 inches long kept running the base of the wall and busting the baitballs but I could never tell what it was.We saw 3 or 4 good size spanish cruising about 20-40 yards out but I never could get their attention. The Jellyfish were as thick as flies.....saw two guys spearfishing on the inside of the rocks....one guy was in a shorty....they must have been Yankee Tourists......I couldn't have stood it.Took my grandson back to Zeke's to see the charters come in.

5)Thursday was the best, although not very successful. My buddy from Fairhope and I launched his boat from Cotton Bayou Ramp about 8 AM. Took my grandson and his girlfriend. We anchored off the west jetty fished till about 10 am(live shrimp mostly).....missed two strikes and caught a big Ladyfish(3/4 oz gold spoon)......Porpoise were everywhere. My grandson started getting seasick(I think he was water watching too much looking for the Porpoise). We went back inside the Bay to Robinson Island to let him get his land legs. While he was in the water he got really nailed by a jellyfish.This is 3 days later.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...rent=jelly.jpg

We decided he needed to eat so we got him an early lunch at Tacky Jack's. I called the wife to say after lunch I would get my Buddy to drop us off at one of the marinas and she could come get us(my marching orders were be back by noon). My grandson chimes in "but granpaw...grandpaw....I want to fish some more". My wife hears him and says "well if he wants to go out again okay". What a trooper......seasick, jellyfish stung and sunburned and what does he wat to do......go out some more.My grandson is on the right and my Buddy's son is on the left.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l.../buddyatTJ.jpg

6)Friday was actually the most productive fish catching day. I went out in front of Poenix VII & VIII. There is a little sandbar the goes from over by the west jetty and ties into the first sandbar in front of VII. I was casting dead shrimp, dead sandfleas and live sandfleas to the edge of the little sandbar where they are 30-70 yards apart. I got cut off twice(using light mono leaders) hooked two spanish one spit the hook and one broke off, landed two pompano one about 8"-9" and the othe 13"-14". All my strikes were on dead shrimp.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...883lo/pomp.jpg
xl883lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in