Need help with fish ID - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Need help with fish ID

Howdy folks, I'm still kind of new to this surf fishing stuff although I've been going every weekend for the past month or so. Have mainly caught ladys, cats and blues. Did catch one small redfish and a few whiting. Today I fished past the last lot past Portofino and caught 7-8 ladys, 5 blues and this. Is it a Pomp or a Jack? Thanks all.

FishnGator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Need help with fish ID

It's a pompano, which is in the jack family by the way. Super eating.
Nitzey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Grouper

Awesome! I guess now I can say that I caught my first Pomp. It was a little over 18 inches by the way. Guess I'm back out there tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

What did you catch them on? I am coming down next week. Thanks for any help.
Bamamedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Grouper

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. I think he hit a shrimp. I used a little of everything today, shrimp (deheaded, peeled and soaked in salt overnight), sandfleas (live and frozen), cut mullet, cut blue, and cut ladyfish. Everything I caught today seemed to be in very close, as in no more than 50-75 feet off of the beach. I guess because the tide was coming in.Pretty nice morning actually, surf wasn't bad,stayed fairly cool, slight breeze from the north,gnats not too bad. I'll try again tomorrow. I think I'll try some crabs for a big red.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

good post and dude.....

where did you get that gator pic ? that issweet !
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

pomps are caught almost exclusively on shrimp and sand fleas around here. thats a real nice fish!

i tend to have the best luck catching those around an hour before high tide and/or at sunrise/sunset...but i guess that goes for most fish now doesnt it...hahaha!
dan ros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Trigger

Nice Gator pic, but my username says it all!:nonono
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Grouper

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer &#111;nmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_c tl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_s mAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopics Repeater__ctl6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','< table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'687\ '); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'687\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'687\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" &#111;nclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName', '_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl 6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'687\ '); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'687\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'687\'); &#111;nmouseover=\'&#119;indow.status=&#119;indow. location;return true;\'; &#111;nmouseout=&#119;indow.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');"></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Baitcaster, sorry I'm just now anwering your question. The picture is a print that was done after the last football nat'l championship. You can still buy it in Gainesville if you are ever down there, it is pretty nice. GoVols, hope you are ready for another beatdown this year. Look on the bright side, maybe you guys can get rid of Fulmer after the year you are going to have.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #10
Sailfish

That's a trash fish- go ahead and fillet it and bring it to my house and I'll see that it gets disposed of properly. Nice job-18" is a good fish!
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in