More beach sharkin' 6/14 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 06-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default More beach sharkin' 6/14

We started out down past portifino catching bait and tried to catch some sharks down that way but the sargasm weed was too bad so we relocated to the intercostal across from chicken bone. We thought about walking over to check out theforum get together, but it looked like space was at a premium and wealready knew the weeds were too bad.We ended up doingprettywell, nothing huge but we landed every fish that hit.

Me John and Jed

John and Jed with a monster!...and some random who walked into the shot

Jed pretending he is Jeff Corwin

Cliff, Dan, Jed and Myself (Yes, I know how redicuously white I am). This was Cliff and Dan's first time shark fishing, I think they're hooked now!
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: More beach sharkin' 6/14

You guys are killing them! Did you yak the baits out on the sound side or just cast from shore?
Firedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

Glad to see you guys getting them!
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Firedawg (6/16/2008)You guys are killing them! Did you yak the baits out on the sound side or just cast from shore?
Yeahwe paddled them out. Theres a pretty good drop once you get far enough out, it seems to hold a pretty decent bit of fish.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
konz (6/16/2008)Glad to see you guys getting them!
Thanks Konz. Next time you guys do a get together we'll be sure to make it outto meet everyone. We didn't really remember about the one this weekend until we relocated and saw all of the cars at chicken bone.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
jd
Cigar Minnow

Looks like you guys had a blast. As a newbie and someone who would love to do a little sharkin, what's the typical rig you use. I think I'm good with my rod/reel setup, just need some direction on line, terminal tackle, bait, etc. I've overloaded myself with articles on various techniques but would rather ask someone who is successful here in the area.

Thanks for any advice!
jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Sweet job man!!!:toast
Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

Hey JD, why kind of reel are you using. Are you going to be casting your baits out or paddling?
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
jd (6/19/2008)Looks like you guys had a blast. As a newbie and someone who would love to do a little sharkin, what's the typical rig you use. I think I'm good with my rod/reel setup, just need some direction on line, terminal tackle, bait, etc. I've overloaded myself with articles on various techniques but would rather ask someone who is successful here in the area.

Thanks for any advice!
Keep in mind we are by no means experts in shark fishing and everyone has different set ups,but this is what we have been doing and it seems to work well.

The reels we use are spooled with 30-50 lb mono. We use just basic carolina or bottom rig bymaking are our own leaders using 135lb 7strand cable with a 13/0-16/0 circle hook and large swivel and thenusewhat ever size egg sinker needed for the current.

Our leaders are pretty long, usually around 12ft (probably overkill)mostly for tail whip and if the shark wraps itself in the leader. I know some people just a around 100lb mono leader b/c i guess the sharks can pick up on the wire or cable leaders easier then mono. I may try mono on a rod next trip, if I do I will let you know the results.

As far as bait goes we usually use ladyfish, hardtail or bonita. If its a small bait we will leave it whole and butterfly it or if its a larger bait we will cutit down toa decent size. Then we paddle it the baits out to different depths. If you're going to use a circle hook just make sure that thespace between the point of the hook and theshaft is not obstructed by the bait otherwise thehook will most likely just pull out of the sharks mouth rather than setting.

Like I said I'm no expert but if you have any other questions on the way we do it feel free to ask, hope this helps.

-Lincoln
Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
jd
Cigar Minnow

Thanks man! Great information.

I'll give it a try! BTW, If your keeping a blacktip to eat, when do you bleed it out? Where do most people cut it? Do most bleed it on the boat/beach before getting home? I've been told that you've got to bleed it fairly quickly.
jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in