MILES AND MILES OF UNFISHED BEACH CAN BE YOURS!!! .. and mine and etc. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default MILES AND MILES OF UNFISHED BEACH CAN BE YOURS!!! .. and mine and etc.

Beach road opens Friday

Drivers should be able to enjoy one of the most scenic drives in Northwest Florida again by Friday.

That?s when Gulf Islands National Seashore officials are expected to reopen J. Earle Bowden Way between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach during a 10 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Today, Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach chamber and tourism officials met with seashore management at Opal Beach ? the seashore?s public beach and picnic area ? to plan the event.

?Everyone is excited. We?re ready to turn the road over to the public,? said deputy superintendent Nina Kelson.

The Florida Department of Transportation is expected to complete a ?punch list? of final touches ? striping lanes, installing signs and sweeping off sand that covered the road during this week?s high winds ? by the end of the day Thursday before handing the road over to the seashore, said spokesman Tommie Speights.

The 7-mile, two lane road meanders through unspoiled sand dunes within 40 yards of the Gulf of Mexico in some places.

The proximity to the Gulf is why the popular road has been closed since Hurricane Dennis demolished it in 2005 ? just days after it had reopened following repairs on extensive damage from Hurricane Ivan?s storm surge in 2004.

Sandy Johnston, executive director of the Pensacola Beach Chamber of Commerce said reopening the road will be good for tourism.

?Where else can you go and drive 7 miles on the beach and not see a house our building?? she said.
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: MILES AND MILES OF UNFISHED BEACH CAN BE YOURS!!! .. and mine and etc.

I can't freakin wait! I never liked sharing holes or fishing holes for that matter.
Team Bloody Waters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to specslayer
Default RE: MILES AND MILES OF UNFISHED BEACH CAN BE YOURS!!! .. and mine and etc.

it deff gets really close to the water in areas but there are some really nice pomp holes along the way...my dad works for the sea shore so for tme the road has never been closed...pavement or not
specslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Mingo

You are not going to be allowed to park on the side of the road down there. Parking lots only :banghead
bullminnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
bullminnow (3/5/2009)You are not going to be allowed to park on the side of the road down there. Parking lots only :banghead
As much as that sucks, I'm 100% positive us "hardcore" folks will go the extra distance to fish an untouched spot in search of the big payoff. A cooler full of (hopefully a variety)fish.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
bullminnow (3/5/2009)You are not going to be allowed to park on the side of the road down there. Parking lots only :banghead
If I remember right, that's the way it was prior to Ivan anyway so what has changed?? That road isn't wide enough to park on the shoulder anyway and using the beach parking lots will keep gawkers from trampling all over the dunes andstomping their names in the sand like they always did on Okaloosa Island.

That always seemed like a childish thing to do to me considering some of the language they would use to "impress" their buddies.

1. Rust
2. Politicians
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Snapper

cant wait
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Trigger

can't wait. That stretch of beach was a key factor in me moving here.
tripleblessing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Sailfish

I might go out there friday afternoon and look for some spots!
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Sailfish

You'll bump into me Friday afternoon!
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in