Johnson's Beach 8-21-2013 (after work sharking report) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Grateful Angler
Snapper

Default Johnson's Beach 8-21-2013 (after work sharking report)

The fiancÚ and I got out to Johnson's at around 6:30 to do a little shark fishing. Water wasn't clear at all but there were thousands of minnows that look like anchovies so I started casting a spoon and quickly caught the biggest lady fish I have ever seen. Catching that was a lot of fun. Needless to say, I now had shark bait so I unloaded the kayak and cut about 2 inches behind the lady's head off and paddled that out.

In less than 10 min I had a good run but didn't hook up. Reeled back in and the bait was still intact so I sent it back out. With so much bait up close I decided to do both drops into the deepest gut before the 2nd bar.

Another 10 minutes went by and I had another good run. This time I hooked up. I do not yet have the gear to handle what a lot of you guys go after so I am kind of a light tackle shark fisherman at this point. I use a Diawa SL30SH on a shimano terramar heavy rod. Anyway, this guy about spooled me. Got down to probably 40 yards of line left before it stopped. About 20 min later I landed my PB blacktip. Got him quickly released after a couple photos. Really had a great time.

Side note: I got dumped in the wash both times coming back in. Any tips on avoiding this? Waves about 2 feet and bigger usually dump me if they are not coming in straight. The waves always point me sideways. I drag the paddle to straighten out but it doesn't always work. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Johnson's Beach 8-21-2013 (after work sharking report)-image-jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Grateful Angler
Snapper

I guess both pics didn't attach. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Johnson's Beach 8-21-2013 (after work sharking report)-image-jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Grouper

Great BT!!! They are getting bigger Zack you might want to call Pompano Joe and talk to him about the 9/0 he has for sale! When you come in turn backwards so you are facing the waves coming at you. You can paddle forward through big waves and keep your yak straight as you are pushed towards the beach backwards. Or lean forward and paddle hard on the side the wave will hit first and surf it in! Lets fish on Saturday night! UGLY
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

Nice shark!
Randall2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Mingo

Awesome I was at johnsons the day before trying for blue fish small shark or whatever but anyways would you mind sharing your hook size you were using? And line test etc please.
bwise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Grateful Angler
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwise View Post
Awesome I was at johnsons the day before trying for blue fish small shark or whatever but anyways would you mind sharing your hook size you were using? And line test etc please.
I have 300 yards of 65lb power pro with about 30 yards of 80lb mono topshot from there it's a 6 foot 250lb (I think) cable. Hook is 10/0 circle.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Grateful Angler
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly 1 View Post
Great BT!!! They are getting bigger Zack you might want to call Pompano Joe and talk to him about the 9/0 he has for sale! When you come in turn backwards so you are facing the waves coming at you. You can paddle forward through big waves and keep your yak straight as you are pushed towards the beach backwards. Or lean forward and paddle hard on the side the wave will hit first and surf it in! Lets fish on Saturday night! UGLY
Thanks ugly! I would def like to get up with you sometime! Gotta go to Jax this weekend for non fishing related reasons. Thanks for the support and encouragement and suggestions. I do surf them and and love doing it its just that sometimes when they break in the shallows I get dumped. I have been considering getting a 9/0 but also have been looking hard at the avets. It will be a couple months before I can get one either way tho. Gotta save for wedding stuff.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Grouper

Try throwing out a drift sock when you approach the breakers it will keep straight and won let the yak surf
ycanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
White Marlin

How far are you yakking your bait out? Jw, since you only have about 350 yards or so of line.
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Mingo

Thanks for the info sir just curious is all im looking into making a sharking setup
bwise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in