Illegal Fish Harvesting - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Illegal Fish Harvesting

Was just at Johnsons Beach by the "H" crossover and saw some guy pull in two reds at least over 25 lbs and over the slot limit. Of course he took off right after landed both fish(hooked at same time) What would you do? Consider calling and reporting him, or just say "right on brother" keep on fishing.....just curious....
Banana Republic Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Mingo

let him eat...dont know the cicumstances
gbliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
White Marlin

With this economy and 1 or 2 fish for personal consumption, I tend to be more tolerant, a boat load and my compassion goes to anger.
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Trigger

The FWC offers rewards for tips leading to convivtions. Hungry or not there is a set of rules. I look at it the same as if I saw someone slipping a steak onder their shirt at the grocery store. He is just causing the rulles affecting every law abiding fisherman to get tougher. Sort of like the person missusing a gun, making gun laws tougher for the majority of us that play by the rules. I say " skin him and grill him just like he does to the illegal redfish he took."
Hewes your daddy? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
BobC
Snapper

Default red fish

I's turn his ass in in a minute. Why not take a few does out of season or lets shoot a bald eagle. Heard manatee meat is really good too. Ever had a Florida panther steak? Yum..........
Bobc5269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Mingo

From The FWC site:
If you know of illegal fishing, hunting, wildlife or boating activity, please report it to the FWC through the agency's Wildlife Alert Hotline. The number is 888-404-3922 and is open 24 hours, seven days a week. Callers may remain anonymous and could be eligible for a reward if their information leads to an arrest.
Catchinem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Snapper

Would you turn someone in for taking food from a grocery store without paying or would you say it's OK if they are hungry? What about breaking into your house and taking your food/stuff. Would it be OK as long as they were just hungry?
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
old fart
Trigger

Default re fish

Isnt a redfish a federal fish?I ve heard of people keeping a lot more than that. One guy on 3 mile bridge hid them in countys locker till he left. not worth losing your car, and or boat, plus large fine. I tried to catch a bull red for 30 yrs, was always there thr day before or day after. caught 4 this yr on 25,s fishing for kings, back they went. last wk my friend caught a nice gag in bay, back he went, just not worth it.
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Would you turn someone in for taking food from a grocery store without paying or would you say it's OK if they are hungry? What about breaking into your house and taking your food/stuff. Would it be OK as long as they were just hungry?
Guy was driving a nice truck with top...doubt he was starving...if you want to go in that direction, I was cool with the lower 9th ward residents in NOLA stealing food after Katrina...not so much with them stealing TV's and such...
Banana Republic Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
White Marlin

just because you have a nice truck(knew the story would be added to...lol,), does not mean obama has not destroyed you financially, I guess I see fishermen on boats cheating the system, commercial guys cheat all the time, who agrees with the fed on shutting down species and hurting our economy, so I am a bit more lenient on 2 fish that should be legal in the first place...had the catching of them killed the fish? want him to throw it back for the flippers?

Saying all that, I play by the rules but I don't know the Whole story on everyone so like I said, I would not turn him in, your word against his anyway, by the time you got anyone to respond he would have been home, they only show up when it is you anyway..
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in