Gulf Shore, AL - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris V
Unread 05-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Gulf Shore, AL

Does anyone have a report on the june grass situation and fishing along the surf? We are planning a trip down the first week of june. I plan on surf fishing everyday with artificials with our 2 teenage boys. We have plenty spoons for the ladyfish and a few topwater lures however does anyone have any suggestions on any other lures or areas?
Thanks a bunch for any help
Stratos03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I've been doing very well with larger twitchbaits like the Unfair Arrowhead and Rapala Twitchin Mullet. The Blues and Ladies are in force, so slowing down your retrieve has been the key to reducing the amount of Ladies and Blues. Longer pause, more specks. Faster retrieve, more Blues and Ladies.
jgraham154 likes this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
Trigger

Went to johnson beach today, june grass was starting to roll in. Caught 1 pomp amd alot of hardtails and ladys.
Keithcooking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks to all for the help! Ive caught a few ladys in the past and they are alot of fun to catch. Our 2 boys would be very satisfied with just catching those. However, i would love to catch some pomps, flounder or trout for table fare. Never eaten any fresh fish from the salty. We dont have a cart so toting around a bunch of unnecessary tackle is optimal. Thats the reason i reach out to experienced folks as you guys in hopes we dont buy useless tackle. I have a friend who has also suggested the original mirrodine. So many colors, i have a hard time deciding which color..lol. Again, thanks a bunch and if anyone else has any suggestions, all info is welcome. By the way, we will be staying at Gulf Shores Plantation...hopefully i can post results.
Unread 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Grand Slam

I fished Johnson’s beach yesterday. Caught one pomp and one big sting ray using fresh dead shrimp.
My first drag for fleas broke my handle in half (rust) so I don’t know the flea availability. It was breaking right at the edge so hard to get to the lip anyway.
The June grass was an annoyance but not a deal breaker. Just had to take a clump or two off my line after reeling in.
I think it will just keep getting worse though.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

We just got back from our trip. Fish was good for the most part. Caught blues, specks, mackerel, ladys and blue runners from surf. All on artificials ranging from silver/gold spoons, speck rigs and mirrodines. Tried the xrap mullets and topwater but no takes on those. Thanks again for all the tips.
Unread Today, 09:56 PM   #7
Grouper

If you're still in the area, go see Chris V at Sam's over there in OB. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but many people have confirmed he will steer you right. Glad you had a good trip!

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in