Good but sad day at Johnsons Beach - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By SHAKE N' BAKE
  • 3 Post By Ocean Master

Old 11-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
SHAKE N' BAKE
Ruby Red Lip

Default Good but sad day at Johnsons Beach

Went out to Johsnons Beach this morning at about 9. The wind was more from the East than I had hoped which made the surf pretty rough. It was mainly just choppy waves and a strong current. About 20 minutes in I caught a medium size whiting. I had a few more bites but didnt land anything for a little while. I was sitting in my chair when I saw one of my rods start to come tight so I started moving that way. All of a sudden it doubled over and the rod came out of the sand spike. I almost was able to grab my rod then but it fell in the water, I chased after it but was not able to grab it before it got pulled away. There goes a reliable Penn fierce 5000 and Daiwa coastal series rod. I hate to see it go because its served me well but that means i will get to buy another. I assume that it was a large ray by the way that it hit, there was no head shakes just a solid strong pull. My drag was to tight from having to reel in the weights in the rough current. However i was able to pull in 2 fat pompano, 12 and 15 inches. The bigger one had some really big shoulders and was right at 3 pounds. I also kept 3 of the biggest whiting I have ever caught. The biggest one was right at 2 pounds. I threw back many average sized whiting. All fish were caught on fresh dead shrimp because my sand flea rake is broke for the time being. If my setup does happen to wash up please contact me, that was one of my most reliable setups. Woulda been a great day if it wasnt for losing the rod. Get out there and go catchem because theyre biting pretty good right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Good but sad day at Johnsons Beach-img_20151114_123636809_hdr-jpg  
SHAKE N' BAKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Constitution Conservative
White Marlin

Nice mess of fish for dinner, fine eating.

That sucks, but ya learned from it... Right?
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
Trigger

I remembered my rubber mallet today. Didn't need it for my one pompano but I finally remembered it and felt a lot more confident with the spikes driven in an extra 6 inches. Spent 2 hours cleaning my reel after a similar episode last week but I grabbed it just in time. I guess it happens to everyone at some point. Nice dinner at least and we'll keep our eyes peeled for your gear!
Scouticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Nice fish ! Thanks for the report. I've been working way too many hours lately and haven't had a chance to go. I've been waiting patiently for someone to post up a pomp report.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Trigger

Lots of pompano off chicken bone, did not catch anything else for once! no cats, no skate, just dinner! Top water blow ups all over in the first cut too.
Scouticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Snapper

Those are beautiful fish there SHAKE N' BAKE. Great report.
fishin for pompanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Grand Slam

Stop my sometime and I'll give you a Fierce 5000 to replace the one the fishes are playing with..!!

Keith

I'm serious..!! Its been fully serviced and has new Carbontex drags, handle, and whatever was needed to make it like new. It is full of red Power Pro 50lb. never used. Come and get it..!!

Last edited by Ocean Master; 11-18-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Mingo

If you suck into the sand spike you can get it as far down as you want. It may sound funny but it works great. Just need some wet sand
kayakfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisher33 View Post
If you suck into the sand spike you can get it as far down as you want. It may sound funny but it works great. Just need some wet sand
Do you mind maybe posting up a video tutorial for us rookies? I'd like to learn how to do that, I've had too many rods getting pulled up
Drum Bum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisher33 View Post

Not sure if I would have worded it quite that way but, I usually put my palm across the top of the PVC and quickly pull it out of the ground a few times to remove a couple of plugs of sand before driving it home with a mallet...... It also helps to have the pvc rod Holder cut at a very sharp angle rather than the blunt angle most of them seem to be… I cut mine with a hacksaw, as close to parallel as I can to get a sharp point....

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in