First day in Fort Morgan - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default First day in Fort Morgan

Well first day down here and didn't get to fish till around 12 yesterday kept catching hard heads so I quit till the evening tried it again caught a few hardheads again a trout and a whiting all was caught on shrimp or gulp shrimp. Did see several pomps and whiting swimming by around noon but that was all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crs89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Mingo

Best bet rent a kayak from store on left before Beach Club on left heading to fort.The trick is knowing what you want to catch and having fresh bait.I try to catch bait with sabiki rigs out pass second sandbar.Best early am for most fish.You should try a bubble float for Spanish macs or a duster rig flor kings.If you do troll the yak get some cigar minnows from J and M tackle on canal road.
If you are just surf fishing you might try the Marine next to Tacky Jacks they charge 4 bucks to fish there dock.if you go there go all the way out front and try for blue fish.Be careful with the rock pile.You can catch specs late or a red fish sometimes.Its a crap shoot some days it's good and some days it's bad.
One more try surf fishing no name road last road before going into fort on left the road surface is all broken up but it's a good beach out front early am is best and late afternoon is best.Bring 4 or 5 ounce weight and throw on second sandbar current moves fast there but if you go there use a half a crab with big circle hooks.i use 8 or 10 circle hooks and catch big redfish or drum.Dont use fresh cut bait there this time of year because to many bait stealers there.
Tom044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the response I tried dixey bar this morning caught about 20 cats that's all it's getting annoying if I put a shrimp on don't matter live or dead I can count and by the time I get to 30 I got a cat on there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Mingo

Stop by the marina and ask the guy who drops the boats in and out he is from Mass.and a big patriots fan.Ask him if they are catching out front on there dock.If he tells you it's good then go there bring a chair and relax.I only fish second sandbar early in day and late afternoon.Try crab I use half and whole-that will keep cats away.You can wade in the water in bay side for specs-again early in morning only.I waded fished the lagoon by the kayak ramp you have to check the trail road.Red fish and flounder there fresh shrimp a must.The water is clear there so you can see the bottom and there is a spot to park.But if you are fishing the surf in mid day hours go for whiting use small hooks and small pieces of shrimp.Ony fish 1 st sandbar.Crabbing is good now back bay just a thought.
One more thing you could try is go pass Walmart then make the curve and go straight when you have to make right turn that's canal road.Drive a couple miles down the road and pull your car on the grass and try fishing there.Or you could go pass Walmart and where the curve is go straight thru the park and almost to the GSPP pull on the grass and fish the small bridge -red fish only -fresh shrimp only.
I fish no name road early and late only 2 rods one on 2nd bar crab and one in 1st with pieces of shrimp.I will catch drum,Redfish,shark,whiting,Pompano,cats,specs,most ly.I don't fish there till september but have caught all these fish there in summer before.Its a crap shoot with all the heat now.
With the beaches full of people now it is tuff surf fishing but the marina is empty to fish and I think it's your best bet.4 bucks all day is a bargain.
Take care and let me know how you did. Tom
Tom044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Just pulled into the marina takin the boy with me so I'll let you know how it goes

Old 07-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the advice. Will try also.
Tydeorum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Caught 2 whiting a blue crab and some croakers and lost one big fish no idea what it was just know it headed out to sea fast

Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Fishing live shrimp off the bottom?
Tydeorum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Frozen since they were out of fresh and I started using croaker as bait once I caught some had several get bit in half but nothin messed with them once they where dead

Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I'll be goin back down afterwhile the boy just couldn't take any more excitement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in