EOP 2/27 nothing doing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Trigger

Default EOP 2/27 nothing doing

Headed out to do a little surf fishing and hang out with the wife. Using a peeled shrimp on two hook rig I picked up at Half Hitch. Once the fog lifted around 2:00 it was beautiful. Had on big hit in the first thirty minutes while I was rigging up a second rod but I guess he didn't want to hang around. Slow with a couple of eaten shrimp after that. Still better than being in the snow.
Attached Images

Duff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Sailfish

Its coming!!!
Snatch it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Trigger

Yeah water was just warm enough to get thigh high for those extra yards (chunkin a 7 footer). Although there were kids in the water. BTW I know this is a advice question so let me hijack my own thread. What is the disadvantage of just 45ing a PVC pipe and sliding my rod butt down vs premade surf spikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Sailfish

Default None

I can't think of one and I've used both. The DIY stakes made from schedule 40 PVC are definitely stronger and you can customize to fit your need. I would suggest taking a 10' section and cutting it in half on a 45 degree angle. You won't find them that long pre-made, but the extra length will help keep your line above the breakers, especially fishing a shorter rod like you are. I would also suggest a bolt to keep the top of the stake from rubbing paint off your reel foot. I've thought about using a rubberized dip to keep this from happening, but haven't tried it. The bolt is easy and cheap.

You can also make stakes out of 2" aluminum angled extrusion. I've seen these with crossbars at ground level so you can step on them and use your body weight to anchor. Attach an aluminum or PVC tube at the top and you're good to go.

I experimented with a double stake so I could fish one short and one long on the same stake, but it was too cumbersome to transport.
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks PJ yeah I just bought two 50" sections of PVC from lowes and hacksawed an angle on them. I slide the rod down them one rod is thicker so it works out the 1 1/2" slides inside the 2" for carrying purposes. It butts against the PVC at the crux of the reel but I don't see how this can damage reel or rod. The only disadvantage I see is if something huge hits and trying to slide out the 16" butt out with pressure; but I figure with two or more rods sticking it's best to leave the drag loose to allow for a run while you get to the reel. Let me know where I'm wrong, pj. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Trigger

You can stretch a piece of bicycle tube over the end , then leave about 2 inches sticking up over the tip. Just push it down inside the pipe and you won't have to worry about it scratching your gear.
dajowi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Trigger

I like to flare out the end of my PVC spike. Do that by boiling a pot of water dipping the end in for a minute or 3 then working a beer bottle neck into the opening to take the shape. Also definitely add a stainless steel bolt with a nylok nut on to stop the rod from going all the way in to the reel seat.
Barnacle Brain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in