Destin jetty. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
The Tourist
Sailfish

Default Destin jetty.

not really the surf, but oh well.

hit up the west jetty in search of jack crevalle. i threw irons most of the time, a sumo Jr. and a tady 45 surface iron. worked the deep water at the end relentlessly. Finally after about 45 casts with the Sumo, as i'm letting it sink it stops sooner than it should, i reel tight and its already at my three o'clock, set the hook hard and instant drag pulling (saltist 40 with 30lb mono buttoned down, so i think 16 or 17lbs or drag) the fish comes up and i see its a big jack, looked well over 3 foot. it dives again and heads to open water, which is around the tip of the jetty and somehow my line managed to get under the corner or a rock. a few seconds rubbing on it and it cut through. lost about 40 yards of line and my favorite iron.

started throwing a small kastmaster on my lighter rod and hooked up with a decent hard tail. it went about 12". put a #2 treble on my rod with the saltist, hooked up that hard tail and sent it out. about 10 mins later im hooked up with something big and it feels identical to the jack. about a minute battle and the hook pulls.

caught another hardtail but it came off the hook on one of my casts... called it a day.

there was also two or three big cuda out there, some bigger fish that looked the same shape as a pompano but they had larger dorsal and anal fins and were striped. they weren't sheep head.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

,some bigger fish that looked the same shape as a pompano but they had larger dorsal and anal fins and were striped. they weren't sheep head.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a Spadefish your talking about.
justinho678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Snapper

Yep definally a spadefish. They're thick at the jetties
salt-life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
The Tourist
Sailfish

yep thats them. just googled it. we've been seeing hundreds of smaller ones out on the yaks but i didn't realise they get that big. they'd chase a pompano jig but no commitment.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Grouper

thanks for the report. sounds like a lot of fun. hate to lose those good lures. especially when you can't go to the local tackle store and get one just like it. At least you lost it to a good fish. I was cruising around Charkbaits site a while back,almost ordered a bunch of those.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
The Tourist
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcallaham View Post
thanks for the report. sounds like a lot of fun. hate to lose those good lures. especially when you can't go to the local tackle store and get one just like it. At least you lost it to a good fish. I was cruising around Charkbaits site a while back,almost ordered a bunch of those.
you have to hand pic them. if you order them online they just throw some in a box and you get what you get. they might not swim right. i have about 15 in my garage and 4 catch fish.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
you have to hand pic them. if you order them online they just throw some in a box and you get what you get. they might not swim right. i have about 15 in my garage and 4 catch fish.
im sure you know this but, open up the eyes and if that doesnt work get the file out and file one side to offset the "hips", they will swim much better.
can hurt if there bad swimmers.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
The Tourist
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
im sure you know this but, open up the eyes and if that doesnt work get the file out and file one side to offset the "hips", they will swim much better.
can hurt if there bad swimmers.
you can't file them if they have glow backs on them. it breaks the seal around the edge and it will fall off.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Grouper

Have been wondering about the fishing on those jetties for years, glad someone made a report on it, I will be sure to check it out, I love jetties fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in