Destin Fishing Suggestions - Help!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Destin Fishing Suggestions - Help!!

Will be vacationing in Destin in a week or so...... staying in a condo near Henderson State Park. Would greatly appreciate fishing suggestions in the area. I won't have access to a boat so probably have to be jetty or surf. Would really prefer to surf fish but not real particular about where I fish orwhatI catch... just looking for a good time.Planning on bringing 2-3 spinning rods .... 9 ft heavy action to 7 ft med/lt action. Thanks in advance for your help.
BamaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: Destin Fishing Suggestions - Help!!

I would try surf fishing right there at the Henderson Beach where you are staying at. There shouldnt be as many people there as would be going else where. Or if your just wanting to get away you can head east on 98 a bit to Sandestin and head down old 98 and try behind Pompano Joe's Restaurant. Alot of people do shark fishing around that restaurant. My suggestion would be to head west and cross over the bridge at crab island. You can park right there. Then you have the option to take a loooong hike around to the gulf a walk down the jetties (better be in shape) and have a better variety of fish or you can walk underneath the bridge up around and fish near the coast gaurd station. Alot of Redfish are caught right near the coast gaurd station. One things for sure about crab island, if you decide to bring the lady, wear dark shades cause the eye candy is everywhere! Good luck and I hope your trip is well.

Jason
GatorBait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Grouper

Default RE: Destin Fishing Suggestions - Help!!

All good suggestions, and also, they are killin' specs right now up on both bridges on 331. Go in the evening on an incoming tiide with a partial to full moon which we should have about the time you come down and you should do well on trout and redfish. A bit of a drive East of Destin but worth the trip. You can also go into Top Sail Park and fish their dune lakes. These are very unique lakes in that there are only about 5 places on earth that have dune lakes and the Florida Panhandle is one of them! Google for a better background of dune lakes. I have caught killer large mouth bass in Morris Lake standing in knee deep water with fresh water clams sticking up all around me and I have had huge blue crabs and also pinfish scurry past me in that same water. It is one of the most unique ecosystems on earth!

You don't need a boat and the rangers wouldn't allow you to put any kind of boat in any of those lakes anyway. If they got infested with a single sprig ofhydrilla, that would ruin the lakes completely and turn them into dank stagnant holes. Hydrilla is the kudzu of the lakes and rivers down here. Go to Wakulla and see what it has done to that river!

You can also go down to Grayton Beach SP and fish Western Lake or walk over the frontal dune and fish the surf. There are picnic shelters there and nice restrooms and showers if you are covered in sand from sand castle building! They rent canoes there so you can go out on thelake if you have the urge. I have caught large bass and also redfish in Western Lake and fishing is good up past either low bridge in the early morning or evening around dusk.

Good luck wherever you decide to try!

1. Rust
2. Politicians
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in