Destin along Gulfshore Drive - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Destin along Gulfshore Drive

Hello all. I'm a horrible fisherman. I've caught more fish blindly throwing a spear into waves than I have with a fishing pole. Really. I caught two that way.
Anyway, I'm trying to learn.

Today I went at 4pm to 5pm. Destin.
I waded into the water about 25 yards from the beach into waist deep. Around me were very large swarms of tiny fish. The waves were 1-2 feet and the water seemed clear enough. Twice, schools of 20+ foot long fish swam by my feet, ignoring my bait and making me wish I had my spear.

I took a pole that is about 10 feet long. I don't know what gauge the line is, but it's probably under 20 since the reel shows ranges from 12-20.

I'm trying to attach a picture of my "rig" because I don't know all the terminology. I threw it out about 25 yards so the bait was a total of 50 yards from the beach after you count my walking distance.

Sometimes I would reel it back fast. Sometimes I would let it sit there. Sometimes I would hook a sand flea to the treble hook.

I would be thrilled to catch some of the things others regard as trash like skipjack. I speared one of those in the head. Thanks for any help.

shinyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Trigger

Go to the East jetty. That's called a bubble rig. Stand on the rocks throw it as far as you can and reel slow, medium, and fast back. Once you find what the fish line keep it at that pace
Blazerz65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks. Knowing the words "bubble rig" has helped me find some other pictures on the internet. I think my treble hook is too big and I need to get rid of the swivels maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Mingo

I'm visiting here ( Destin/Ft WaltonArea) and if you just want to pull on fish a simple gold spoon in the surf or on the jetty works for me. Wade out as far as you can ( second sand bar) and chuck it as far as you can, as mentioned before, try different a speeds and pause's In the retrieve to find what they like, then repeat. It's fun watching blue fish leap out of the water trying to spit the hook. GL
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks. I googled gold spoon and found this image of how to set it up. I assume the line after the green ball is supposed to be 2-3 feet long...

Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Mingo

that is one way of doing it if you want the lure to stay on the bottom.
I simply tie on the lure directly to the line. if you get line twist use a snap swivel. silver or gold weedless works for me
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Oh...I thought the lead weight was to make it possible to cast far...
The spoon alone seems like it would be difficult to cast more than 15 yards.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Grouper

just get a clark spoon and a slip lead 1 to 2 oz rig it up carolina style with a 2 to 3 ft leader useing 40 lb mono leader cast it out reel as fast as u can 5 secs or til u see your rig on the surface then let it drom maybe 2 secs repeat if there are ladyfish u will get a bite every cast and if u stick to it u will get a stray spanish or blue mixed in
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
Trigger

First of all.... If you don't know what you're doing, casting lures anywhere near the surf or the jetties will just make your arm sore. If your fishing the beach, keep it simple. Go to Walmart or a local bait shop and pick up some pompano rigs. The package will tell you how to tie them on your line. They're cheap and they work. You can learn to tie your own later. Bait your hooks with FRESH dead shrimp or sand fleas... don't use frozen. For weight, use a 2 to 4 oz pyramid weight. Find a point on the beach away from swimmers. Cast your line into the deeper part of the water (where the waves aren't breaking as much), sit your rod in a PVC rod holder on the beach, reel the line tight, and wait. Check your bait every 20 min or so and be patient. That's it. I've caught hundreds of fish this way. You don't even have to cast that far out, you'll catch plenty of fish without ever wading into the water. Best time to go is sunrise. If the surf is full of grass, don't even bother. Keep doing this and I promise you will start catching fish.
jasonh1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Ok! I'm psyched up to try again with this good advice. It's unbelievably frustrating to see fish swimming past my feet and ignoring my bait.

I was able to google image the rigs you guys mention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in